auto temp II

Charlies

Reaction score
has anyone convertered an auto temp II to a manual system if so what parts are needed and what models could I get them from. any help thanks a lot

A lot of people have asked about pulling out the ATC II and replacing it with the manual A/C buy I have yet to see an actual conversion done by anybody.

I have ATC II in my '76 NYB. It's working pretty good so I'm leaving it alone for now. For when the day comes, I have on the shelf ready to go, the entire heater box, plumbing, and controls taken out of a similar car before hitting the derby circuit. That's the only way I know of doing it. I do know one thing. Think about this before jumping in to swap out systems:

15zl55u.jpg

There's info scattered haphazardly around the net about ADAPTING the ATC II to manual control. Every one I have read has never been a 100% successful solution. Also, because I'm an idiot, I have studied the ATC II drawings so as to figure out a way to make it work manually but it still required removing the heater box so at that point you might as well put in a manual box in my opinion.
Bottom line: I'll never buy an ATC II car again. Just not worth it to me. A lot of guys just simply tackle each ATC II issue as they pop up and then cross their fingers.

my wiper bushings were broken. replaced them and everything seems ok for now. I see a lot of post about the wiper cam thing but I hope mine will be ok for a while. thanks for the information on the auto temp.

You know, I wasn't even considering it but, I'm eyeballing a car with Auto Temp II and it does work. Question is do I go for it? The reason I'm asking is because this is a western car and pretty clean. And yes its a 78 as well. Anyways, just curious.

You know, I wasn't even considering it but, I'm eyeballing a car with Auto Temp II and it does work. Question is do I go for it? The reason I'm asking is because this is a western car and pretty clean. And yes its a 78 as well. Anyways, just curious.

I wouldn't pursue it for 2 reasons....

The ATC II is a major PITA to get working. Some people had some luck fixing it. I have two manual A/C Formal's....much easier to troubleshoot and repair. Also the 78's only have a big wiper cam that is either broken now or will be. There is not a single NOS factory replacement cam on the planet and I think that the plastic formulation was flawed and not designed for 40 years of service. There is a person that had one repopped the wiper cam that I heard wasn't working correctly. No wipers without a wiper cam. I fabricated a hybrid small cam set up.

Picture of 78 POS big wiper cam.

DSC01239.jpg

This what I had to fabricate.

DSC02239.jpgDSC02240.jpg

DSC01239.jpg

DSC02239.jpg

DSC02240.jpg

I also had to cut the small end off a 76-77 linkage rod from the wiper motor to the first transmission and weld it on to the original 78 linkage rod. Can't find the picture of that one. Now I have a small wiper cam set up.

If it is a car you have lusted for all your life, of course get it. Nothing should deter you from getting your dream car.
If it is just a nice car that you are thinking about, take a pass.

Well, it's a very nice car. It is a western car and it has no rust. I'd say its one of the nicest cars I've come across so far. But, that being said I'm wondering if the parts of the system have been upgraded if I should be good to go? I know Mercedes uses a similar setup and they sell some aluminum based parts vs plastic. I know it is working for now on this car for now. As for the wipers normally try not to use the wipers on my old Mopars and try to use Rain-X when I can.

has anyone convertered an auto temp II to a manual system if so what parts are needed and what models could I get them from. any help thanks a lot

Mine was ordered with AT II but was converted prior to my buying it from the second owner. I spotted the part that usually goes apparently on the Imperial club page
http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1973/index.htm

under the repair literature section I found an add... seems a little "Salty" but there it is

http://www.imperialclub.com/Part/Vendors/performancebrochure.pdf

Where it is on the car I have no clue! LOL

Back