Bad starter

Reaction score
I turn the switch on the dash it just clicks and with switch on I jump the relay over just clicks it looks like the original starter on the furyiii 68 it sometimes would start then nothing put new relay on it sometimes it will start and then nothing from key side

It the battery is strong and all the wiring contacts are clean, battery post is clean and tight, the problem is in the starter solenoid which is part of the starter. There's a big round washer or disk that makes contact and gives power to the starter winding, and that disk will need to be cleaned with some sandpaper to clean off carbon deposits.

Yes battery is 12.45 which is good wiring is good it whizzes the starter I have a video won’t let me upload it the starter is struggling it sounds like it is

Yes battery is 12.45 which is good wiring is good it whizzes the starter I have a video won’t let me upload it the starter is struggling it sounds like it is

12.45 is a bit low. Voltage on a fully charged battery should be around 13.4 volts.

If a fully-charged battery has been sitting (in the car or not) with no load and no charging for a while (a few days, maybe a week or 2) a voltage of 12.8 would be good, I wouldn't expect more than that.

If the voltage is reading 12.45 *while being cranked* that would be really good, but it's likely that reading was not done while being cranked. I can't tell from the OP if the engine was being turned over during the starting attempt or just chatter or clicking.

12.45 is a bit low. Voltage on a fully charged battery should be around 13.4 volts.
I have to disagree.

13.4 volts is a good voltage with a good battery and the engine running. At rest, 12.6 is the ideal voltage, figuring 2.1 volts per cell and 6 cells in the battery.

12.45 is a touch on the low side if the battery is fully charged, but if the OP has been trying to start the car, it could be a little low. Key thing is to check it when you know it's charged.

car-battery-voltage.png

I turn the switch on the dash it just clicks and with switch on I jump the relay over just clicks it looks like the original starter on the furyiii 68 it sometimes would start then nothing put new relay on it sometimes it will start and then nothing from key side
You know how you jumped the relay just do the same thing with the starter by jumping the big terminal with the small terminal you could also have a bad cable because I remember you having other electrical problems so I would check the cables and take the cables off the battery and clean them be sure to check all the connections especially the grounds

Back