WANTED Ball joints

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may be a purist,but in this case,it is a no brainer.
Annudder vote for the 73 set up.+
As you may already know I am all in for modern upgrades and mods that are hidden or not very obvious.
With the factory Disc Brake wheel covers who will notice the difference at cruise nights and car shows?
Nobody!

Since you need brake work and ball joints, you may want to consider looking for a set of 1973 spindles and converting over to the much less expensive, single piston caliper set up. It would save you the expense and time of shipping things back and fourth to the US. Put all the Budd stuff in a box and save it for posterity. The Budd calipers often need to be sleeved to keep them from leaking, which is another expense and hassle when you don't live in the US.

A set of 1973 spindles usually runs about $300. Rotors are $45 each. Calipers are also around $45, though there seems to be a countrywide shortage of left calipers right now. That may be Covid-19 related and temporary. Pads are $25. NORS lower ball joints pop up on ebay occasionally for less than $100 each.

The rotors fit vans and pickups, so I wouldn't be surprised if you could buy them in Australia and save a bit on shipping.

Jeff
I understand 70-73 spindles will work . Are Ball joints, rotors, and calipers more expensive for the 70 thru 72 years ?

1969-1973 uses the same lower ball joints for disc, and drum cars. 1969-1973 uses the same calipers for disc cars. The 1969-1972 uses a 2 piece brake rotor that's about twice as much as the 1973 1 piece rotor.

I understand 70-73 spindles will work . Are Ball joints, rotors, and calipers more expensive for the 70 thru 72 years ?

1969-1973 uses the same lower ball joints for disc, and drum cars. 1969-1973 uses the same calipers for disc cars. The 1969-1972 uses a 2 piece brake rotor that's about twice as much as the 1973 1 piece rotor.

Thanks for explaining all that. Great Information.
One more question. The # 18-4032 LH Caliper for the 73 Rotors seems to be totally out of stock on all places I checked. Any ideas where I can find one?

Jeff, I was able to buy a set of 73 Disc spindles yesterday at Whites Service Station & Garage in Germanton ,NC . They had the Spindles, Rotors, And Lower arm and Ball joint. However the Calipers were missing. Will I need a caliper bracket to bolt the calipers to ? If so what years will probably work?

DSC00987.JPG

DSC00988.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back