Bastardized 1959 "Coronet" build

Played around with fender and hood placement. I'm fairly confident I'll be able to run the full hood without cutting any hokey holes in it. Also placed the 1959 cowl panel between the Corvette windshield and the 1962 hood. That might take a little thinking. It appears the trailing edge of the 1962 hood is a different contour than it's 1959 brethren.

Back from vacation in an area where they have car shows year round. Started back on the project... Had to move the *** end forward just a bit to get the alignment to the doors more precise. That was pretty easy. Figured out why the right door to fender gap was no where near as nice as the left one.

Next up will be pushing the forward, upper door skin and the fenders out a little in hopes of putting the hood on without slicing it.

The hood fits without trimming!!!! I moved the upper, leading edge of the door skin outward and the fenders as well to accomplish this. The driver's door to fender alignment is VERY good now. Drinker's side still needs some loving. The hood is touching something in the engine compartment that makes it sit up 1/8-1/4 on the windshield end (TBD).

Boris_New_Fender_Alignment5.jpg
Boris_New_Fender_Alignment4.jpg
Boris_New_Fender_Alignment3.jpg
Boris_New_Fender_Alignment2.jpg
Boris_New_Fender_Alignment1.jpg
Boris_New_Fender_Alignment7.jpg
Boris_New_Fender_Alignment6.jpg

I scored some front turn signal lenses and bezels at a JY chock full of older Detroit iron. I think the bezels will shine up and the right side lense is pretty good and will replace my broken lense.

I still would like to find nice fin hardware..... I hate to think about visiting the chromer with my crappy stuff.......

two steps forward, 1 step back... The final fitment on the driver's door is kind of kicking my ***. I tried to form some "clips" into the 1959 door skin that would tie into the lower corvette door skeleton, but it was a huge fail. The slots I put in the C5 door structure just could not carry the weight and ripped out. The root problem I'm trying to solve is keeping the bottom edge flange in place then crimping onto the door structure. I might be overthinking this... If I have the curve of the structure correct then the skin should want to stay in place and not need some mechanism along the bottom... I'll take a fresh look later today...

What was the 1 step forward, you ask? The hood will definitely fit on without any hokey holes cut in it. I removed the oil filler cap and put a rag over it. That solved the clearance on the right side and should be easy to make a permanent, lower cap. On the left, the hood is hitting the clutch fluid reservoir just a little. That will be easy to reposition on the firewall. I know it ain't much, but I gotta take the win when I can lately. :BangHead:

Pretty sure I was overthinking the whole thing... (it ain't the first time, prolly not the last...) I had room to raise the top edge of the door skin 1/8-1/4-ish and that brought the pinch flange on the bottom of the door skin up where it can just be pinched onto the C5, FG door structure. There should be no need to fabricate some mechanical widget to keep the lower flange in place. I probably will also use some adhesive in there for final assembly if for no other reason than to inhibit any movement or a rattle..

Next I'll make the brackets that will hold the front section of the rear wheel arch in place. This is the piece that will secure both the FG lower piece and the steel upper piece. The lower piece will be bolted while the upper piece will use some clamping device so it can be unclamped to allow a rear tire change.

Left Bracket to secure the leading edge of the 1959 rear wheel well to the C5 frame. It will also secure the FG portion.

wheel well bracket.jpg

Stuck the 1959 cowl panel in between the 1961 hood and the 1998 glass just for fun.... Maybe...

1959_Coronet_Cowl_with_SS_inserts.jpg

Started to fab up some brackets to mount the 1961 hood using the Corvette hood hinges.. Looking good so far.. It will open opposite of what it did in 1961.

sorta works... I think the hinge mount points will need to move forward to get some more clearance however.,..

Hood_up.jpg

Alright, I was finally smart enough to go check the distance from the hinge point to the leading edge of the Corvette hood. It's only 2.5-ish inches, not the 5-6" I have it set to on the 1961 hood. That's the reason the leading edge goes DOWN first before coming up. It hits the threaded studs that hold the grill on. Solution? Get another 1961 hood, slice off the first 6-8" and permanently mount it in the area right behind the grill. Then slice the original hood back the same 6-8" and mount to the Corvette hinges... easy peasy... pics soon...

Alright, I was finally smart enough to go check the distance from the hinge point to the leading edge of the Corvette hood. It's only 2.5-ish inches, not the 5-6" I have it set to on the 1961 hood. That's the reason the leading edge goes DOWN first before coming up. It hits the threaded studs that hold the grill on. Solution? Get another 1961 hood, slice off the first 6-8" and permanently mount it in the area right behind the grill. Then slice the original hood back the same 6-8" and mount to the Corvette hinges... easy peasy... pics soon...
There isn't anything that can't be solved with a bit of ingenuity and engineering, oh yeah, and money.

Donor hood that was staved in but FREE has been sliced. The portion I needed was straight. Next I bend it up and it gets permanently mounted (bolted) to the grill support underneath. Then I have to get brave enough to cut the original hood... I might just sleep on that cuz I only get 1 chance...

Donor_Hood_Cut.jpg

Ok, one slight issue... Went to put the additional section in the brake and realized it's got a contour... I can't do that with the brake, I'll need to use the bead roller and tipping die. The good news is that I have one and think I have a pretty good shot at using it successfully. However, I did cut another piece of the donor hood to practice on.... :thumbsup::thumbsup:

No going back now... Had to refine my plan for the donor piece...,. Tipping alone didn't leave all the contour, it straightened it a bit. Instead of a bend down then a bend towards the rear to form a dog leg of sorts, I only bent down and used the shrinker on that flange to put the contour back. Not sure yet if the original hood will get the same treatment or the brake then shrink...

Hood_Cut2.jpg

Back