Battery needed...

Marine batteries are rated at 32°F and car batteries at 0°F.

MCA v. CCA. It may not make a lot of difference, but an 800 MCA isn't as strong as 800 CCA. Marine batteries are built better.. thicker plates etc. for vibration resistance. I've never seen them cheaper though.
Check the link i gave and you will see it is 89 dollars , take away the automatic 15% off they give you for buying online , and its 75 bucks and you can still pick it up from your local store, I cant imagine a similar sized auto battery being that cheap.

Read the Axion battery site. http://www.turbostart.com/

They are modern batteries. The first one I bought was for the convertible, it lasted me more than 7 years when last year the case developed a crack at the positive terminal. These batteries are VERY good.
As previously mentioned no point in them on a modified vehicle

If anyone is interested the Canadian distributors are National Moparts in Beavorton Ontario and Dix Performance in Edmonton, Alberta .

I also have one in my 440 polara, dad has one in his 360 Polara and had one in his 73 Charger....These are EXCELLENT batteries.

Check the link i gave and you will see it is 89 dollars , take away the automatic 15% off they give you for buying online , and its 75 bucks and you can still pick it up from your local store, I cant imagine a similar sized auto battery being that cheap.

It's hard to match that battery up to an automotive battery because of the car rating v. marine rating. I'm not saying it won't work, I'm just saying you can't compare the rating. 32° makes a huge difference in how a battery performs. From my understanding and buying a couple boat batteries, figure about a 25% difference. So that 800 marine rated battery ends up being a 600 CCA car rated battery with a one year warranty. Now you can compare and you are in the same ballpark in price.

Best battery deals I've come across come from two places..... One is the battery warehouse across town from me where they quite often sell batteries as "seconds" because of cosmetic issues. The other is the local "pick and pull". The last battery I had in my Corvette came from there and was bought for my son's car originally. I needed a battery after winter storage and that happened to be sitting in my garage after he totaled the car (hit a deer). That battery was less than $20 and lasted at least 4 years and was in the car when I sold it.

Pick a part is great 20-30 bucks grab one out of a dodge pu or van then scrap your old one for 12 bucks I'll see some of you at Carlisle with my pick a part batt.

It's hard to match that battery up to an automotive battery because of the car rating v. marine rating. I'm not saying it won't work, I'm just saying you can't compare the rating. 32° makes a huge difference in how a battery performs. From my understanding and buying a couple boat batteries, figure about a 25% difference. So that 800 marine rated battery ends up being a 600 CCA car rated battery with a one year warranty. Now you can compare and you are in the same ballpark in price.

Best battery deals I've come across come from two places..... One is the battery warehouse across town from me where they quite often sell batteries as "seconds" because of cosmetic issues. The other is the local "pick and pull". The last battery I had in my Corvette came from there and was bought for my son's car originally. I needed a battery after winter storage and that happened to be sitting in my garage after he totaled the car (hit a deer). That battery was less than $20 and lasted at least 4 years and was in the car when I sold it.
THe Advance battery listing is CCA on this battery when you look it up and read it, it says cranking amps is actually 1000 CA, and as i pointed out, having a car you may not drive a lot, a marine battery is better suited because they are far less likely to be damaged by discharge like so many car batteries can be. A marine battery you can recharge when flat more times because of the heavier plates.

THe Advance battery listing is CCA on this battery when you look it up and read it, it says cranking amps is actually 1000 CA, and as i pointed out, having a car you may not drive a lot, a marine battery is better suited because they are far less likely to be damaged by discharge like so many car batteries can be. A marine battery you can recharge when flat more times because of the heavier plates.

I looked it up and read it.

Marine batteries are not rated the same. That is the long and short of it.

I don't disagree that the Marine battery is built with heavier plates. They may be better, just don't compare them one to one.

Google marine cranking amperage versus cold cranking amps if you don't understand.

I'm out.....

I didnt realise that CCA wasnt the same as CCA, duh what was i thinking

I was gonna drop it... but since you gave an answer like that... Go to the store and look at the battery. Like every other marine battery I've ever seen.. or bought for my own boat... it will have the rating in MCA.

The web site does list CCA, but since it is a marine battery, I have my doubts if that is correct. If it is... great... then you are right. Good for you. You win.

As I said, it will work fine... and maybe even better then the equivalent auto battery. Especially when you don't have to start your car at cold temperatures. Just compare apples to apples.

I'm picking up the Advanced Auto 27 group size Auto Craft Gold. It has 935 Cranking amps for $77.99 after the $40 savings. Regular price was $117.00. I think that's a good deal..!!

I have the Auto Zone duralast gold group 27 in my 440 Ramcharger--that thing cranks and cranks. Great batteries.

Back