Bellhousing and trannys?,,,65 Polara Vert

Catfish-65

Reaction score
With a 318 Poly engine can I use a for speed tranny in place of the 3 speed tranny on the same bell housing,, also for the peedle set up what is needed to be done, to mount the standard brake peddle to my power brake cylinder??? Any help would be Great,,,

Hey - welcome!!

The manual brake and power brake pedal sets are quite different - you need a power brake pedal set. Cheaper and safer than modifying a manual pedal. Or convert to manual brakes.

Regarding interchanging 3 speed and 4 speed bell housings, there's definitely someone here who will know.

Wait a minnit here....... have you got a 3 speed manual in there now? Or are you wanting to go from auto to manual?

The OP is my friend Dave from Hamilton Ontario.
:canada:

My understanding is that he has a 3 speed auto in the car. He also has collected parts - a 3 speed manual donor tranny and non-power brake manual trans pedal set from a poly 318 car, and wants to convert the car to 4 speed while keeping his poly 318.

He wants to know if the 3 speed manual bell housing would work with a 4 speed trans - and also how to deal with the fact that his car is originally a power brake car. He'd like to retain the power brakes if possible.

I don't know if he has the required floor pan hump yet or not

Is that all correct Dave? :)

Yah the 4 speed bellhousing is different to the three speed, they are incompatible, sorry. You will need to find a small block 4spd bellhousing, which won't be so hard as you can use the later ones too.

A bigger problem is that the Engine may not be drilled for a manual transmission.Most cars with automatics did not have the crank drilled deep enough.

Thanks Ross, all the answers here help a lot, I know a little more than I did, The car that I got the parts from also came with a 318 poly.. so its the engine I,ll use, if the change does happen, I,m definatly not afraid of a challenge,, Any more input would be appreciated;;; Dave... (Catfish65)

Okay then, it's all making a bit more sense now. That intro left me wondering just exactly what we were trying to accomplish. Sounds like you're getting good info now.

Using the other engine will preclude the issue above with the depth of crank's pilot as mentioned above.

There are a couple of members here who have excellent knowlege about this swap.

Back