Best suggestions for period floor mats

Henrius

Reaction score
Believe it or not, I got the pristine original carpet in my Grandma's 65 Fury III. I would like to keep it that way. Only problem is the original floor mats have broken in pieces.

Would be interested what cut-to-fit floor mats you all have found worthwhile. The old style front floor mats used to go over the transmission hump, but I can't find any that do that nowadays.

I just googled images of a 1965 Fury III. Your grandmother must have been a bit of a BAD A--. Original floor mats, door seals, washer bottles and bushings are all part of a C body owners holy grail. I have heard of people using modern truck floor mats with some success. Not OE but will give that pristine carpet some protection.
Good luck Indy!

IMG_4943.png

Last edited:
Thanks! Where did you find this truck mat pictured?

Grandma's Fury was always garaged, and only used for hair salon visits, flower arranging classes, and grocery shopping. Grandpa drove his 63 Chyrsler 300 everywhere else they went. Too bad my dad let the 300 go.

But I kept the Fury garaged after I inherited it in 1988. Yes, the rubber door seals are perfect. But after years of carrying that heavy body, I had to get the rubber suspension bushings replaced. It was quite amazing what a difference the suspension rebuild made. Car feels like it is floating on air now!

Just a few ends to tidy up, like floor mats, a new trunk mat, and exhaust hangers.

Your welcome. The picture is from Amazon, but they are everywhere. Just google one piece truck floor mat. Thank you for the information on your suspension bushings. I am currently in the process of having those bushings replaced and I'm glad to hear they make a noticeable difference. Would love to see some pictures of the Fury if you have any.

How does your 65 have pristine carpet? The carpet on my grandfather's 67 Imperial (now mine) was destroyed, and it was always garaged. Seems like carpet tends to not age well. Nice to hear some survive.

I bookmarked this place a while ago, I might at some point ask them if they make reproduction non-carpet-backed rubber or vinyl floor mats:

They do appear to make correct-fitting old car floor mats, maybe carpet-backed? I'm not seeing the single 1-piece mat for non-console cars that spans both sides. It that what a dealer would have offered by default?

The original vinyl mats were quite thin / flimsy compared to today's generic foot-well mats, yes?

Believe it or not, I got the pristine original carpet in my Grandma's 65 Fury III. I would like to keep it that way. Only problem is the original floor mats have broken in pieces.

Would be interested what cut-to-fit floor mats you all have found worthwhile. The old style front floor mats used to go over the transmission hump, but I can't find any that do that nowadays.
I used to buy generic truck rubber mats and cut them to size. Problem is most of the rubber mats you see are too narrow, even the truck versions. A look at your local Advance Pep Zone with a tape measure might answer your question.

I've bought custom carpet mats from Auto Carpet for Car, Truck, Van - Stock Interiors They are ACC (Auto Custom Carpets) brand, which is probably what you'll find in most, if not all of the other online sources. I used a plush cut mat, in a contrasting gray color for my red carpeted '65 Barracuda and matching black color for my '65 300L. Nice heavy backing etc. I'd buy them again. You can have them add some custom embroidery too, but I never have done that. Ask for samples to match or contrast color before buying if you go with carpet mats. A good supplier will do that without blinking an eye.

Another thing you can do is buy some carpet runner at your nearest Lowes Depot and cut it to size. The issue with that is water will run off them and on to the carpet. That may not be a big deal to you as you probably aren't going to be driving in bad weather. It's pretty bulletproof and cheap, so there's that...

Back