big block oil filters

When I was in kindergarten we used paste. Put paste on one piece of paper and paste on the other and they would stick together, damn you could not get them apart. Now do that to the hard plastic table top and the paper peels right off.
So I ask you WIX fanboys. Why is a steel endcap so great, whenpaper sticks to cardboard really well? Also don't give me any hoopla about the cardboard collapsing, if your filter is that clogged you have waited too long to change your oil.
I have no problem with WIX filters other than the exorbitant cost for a disposable item, I don't want to marry the damn thing, I just want it to filter for a few months.
BTW the only filter I ever had fail was a WIX, blew out and emptied half my brand new oil change on the road.

When I was in kindergarten we used paste. Put paste on one piece of paper and paste on the other and they would stick together, damn you could not get them apart. Now do that to the hard plastic table top and the paper peels right off.
So I ask you WIX fanboys. Why is a steel endcap so great, whenpaper sticks to cardboard really well? Also don't give me any hoopla about the cardboard collapsing, if your filter is that clogged you have waited too long to change your oil.
I have no problem with WIX filters other than the exorbitant cost for a disposable item, I don't want to marry the damn thing, I just want it to filter for a few months.
BTW the only filter I ever had fail was a WIX, blew out and emptied half my brand new oil change on the road.
OMG!

So, what happens when the K-Mart filter you are using blows up and dumps oil all over the road and then a school bus full of little kids hits it and crashes into a ravine?

Now, a bunch of kids are dead or maimed because you cheaped out.

I'm not a Wix "fanboy", but it seems to be plausible that an end cap made of a substance that does not or will not absorb oil is better than one which might. But in either case, if that special glue which holds the end caps to the filter element's ends might fail . . .

The other thing is that the flat spring/coil spring which is at the end of the filter element might have a better/more solid suface to work against with a steel end cap, I suspect.

I'm not sure what's actually inside of the current Fram oil filters (many variations/levels), so possibly somebody might cut one open to see and post pictures? Especially used ones!

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

www.minimopar.net/oilfilters/index.html

www.minimopar.net/oilfilters/reference.html

The top link is to the page with the general comments, including the amount of filter media area in eash filter.

The bottom link is to the page with the specific information on each of the filters in the projects. Seems the latest information is from 2008, so things might have changed a bit since then, but still good information.

As presented, the links might need to be manually inputed to work, but they are accurate. Or just go to www.minimopar.net.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Last edited:
Been running the 10W-30 version of Rotella in the Subarus for near two decades now, no issues.

Oh, its good stuff, to be sure. You might want to look up sundry motor oils at the Petroleum Quality Institute. pqia.org. I'm SURE Rotella would be FINE in a Subaru, or even a modern gasoline engine. I used 10W-30 Rotella myselt, the T5 grade, when first seeking a motor oil with a high zinc content for the dollar. In a pinch, I'd happily use it again. But the Motorcraft stuff has more zinc and phosphate, so I went to that, then Lucas.

One thing about ZDDP, once you put it in the crankcase, it stays at the same level until you drain it out, so DON'T supplement between oil changes. One CAN put TOO MUCH in....

Very impressed with Lucas's Tool Box Buddy spray, maybe the best I've ever used, and nearly odorless without using a stinky perfume to try to cover up the smell.

Tackled some insanely rusty bolts on the wife's 2000 Outback originally from NY, and never broke a single bolt.

I use their 30W in my mowers if I can't find Rotella straight 30, spendy but it makes you feel good.

Now, a bunch of kids are dead or maimed because you cheaped out
LoL
The WIX did that when they were cheap enough for me to afford. I guess since they raised the price failures are non existent.
If I find a Kmart oil filter I'm putting it on the shelf as rare old unobtainium part for nostalgia purposes.
I buy whatever is cheap and in front of me at the moment. No regards to brand, I put them all in "they suck" category. Lower your expectations and disappointment will diminish, at least that's the path we are led down.

Last edited:
I used to use K-mart oil filters, they were fine! Anyone remember Lee oil filters? I used to be able to get them for 99 cents on sale!

LoL
The WIX did that when they were cheap enough for me to afford. I guess since they raised the price failures are non existent.
If I find a Kmart oil filter I'm putting it on the shelf as rare old unobtainium part for nostalgia purposes.
I buy whatever is cheap and in front of me at the moment
I buy Wix from Amazon, delivered to my door for $6.29. Checking in Advance Auto's website, $6.29 is the cheapest and that's a Fram... and I have to go pick it up. Amazon product ASIN B000C9ULHG

I've bought filters on this deal on Moparts. Not 100% sure it's still active, but their warehouse is close enough that they delivered. I really don't want a case of filters though. I don't change oil in the old cars that much (once a season) and it's just one more thing on the shelf. Group discount on WIX Filters for Moparts members

Lower your expectations and disappointment will diminish
That's a good mantra for life in general.

Killer deal on the WIX there, might have to have my kid p'up all our filters there.

I don't change oil sometimes for years. After 3 years of plowing I changed the oil in my plow truck, the oil had 43 miles on it.

W300 a.jpg

For several years, I ran Valvoline 10W-40 with Mopar filters on my older (pre-1990) cars and trucks with no issue. When I got my first Diesel Cummins truck (1993 D350 Club Cab), I used Amzoil 15W-40 diesel oil in it, then switched my older cars to that, as well (with Amzoil filters) and was pleased with the results. Later, I switched to WIX filters and Shell Rotella-T, as they were a little less expensive and easily as good.

These days, my Diesel is a VW Passat and I use the VW filters and oil in that. It's actually cheaper for me to go to the VW service department for an oil change versus DIY, so heck yeah! My older cars and truck get WIX filters and Castrol GTX hi-mileage 10W-40 oil. I've been pretty happy with the change to that, which I did in 2007.

I can pull a valve cover off of any of my vehicles and find nice, clean rockers and little to no build-up inside the cover itself.

Wix filter deal? Here ya go. I put a order together for all my vehicles that will last a year. Superior filters and reasonable price. Don't forget the cabin filter on the wife's ride.

Funny! I feel that way about cell phone companies - they all suck.
They take suck to a whole other level.
Don't understand how your whole business is based on apps (the voice and text is basically free) and Verizon business app is amoung the worse.

I noticed that there is a part number change in big block oil filters in the being of 1972 , what is the difference in the 2 filters ? can they be interchanged with each other ?
There was a change in appearance of the factory Mopar filter between 1971-72, they went from blue/white to red/white/blue. Older yet were black/yellow I believe. Repros are pricey.
oilfilters 1971-72.jpg

I think Chrysler actually produced/made their own filters until the late '70s, but I can't confirm that.
Probably not.

Car manufacturers make very little of the stuff they bolt on themselves. You'd be very surprised if you saw where parts are being built and the vendors don't just make parts for one company.

Probably not.

Car manufacturers make very little of the stuff they bolt on themselves. You'd be very surprised if you saw where parts are being built and the vendors don't just make parts for one company.

Oh, I know all that, like GM Saginaw made columns for GM, Chrysler and AMC. Dana makes axles for all of them, and so on. It seemed that Chrysler made their own filters up to the mid-'70s, but I have zero way of verifying that, either way.

Back