Big block power steering

SuperDave

Reaction score
IMG_20200829_194708.jpg

Okay, so I'm rebuilding my 400. Got it painted and partially assembled.
Just got the brackets and assorted small parts back from the powder coaters today.
IMG_20200904_181914.jpg

Even got a seal kit for the power steering pump.

But like a dumbass, I forgot to take pics of the motor before it came apart.

I'm at a bit of a conundrum as to how the pump mounts to the engine. Does anyone have a big block powered C-Body they'd be willing to photograph and post here so I can figure out how, what and where? Please?

Also, I have a non AC alternator bracket to mount the alternator because it's gonna be a while before I restore AC to this thing. Any pics of those someone has converted would be cool also.

These were saved in my photo library. Hope it’s helpful. I can take some pics closer up tomorrow if these don’t help. Just let me know.

8DFE47B8-041E-4F27-B64D-F41F5302EBE3.png

784A30CA-78DB-4892-AFAB-66536E4430DD.png

C70B2B8F-F9FB-4BF6-B6A7-A20FACC45F1F.png

5A702235-6E85-4277-9E8A-E6BF6C4E0E67.png

View attachment 400100
Okay, so I'm rebuilding my 400. Got it painted and partially assembled.
Just got the brackets and assorted small parts back from the powder coaters today.
View attachment 400101
Even got a seal kit for the power steering pump.

But like a dumbass, I forgot to take pics of the motor before it came apart.

I'm at a bit of a conundrum as to how the pump mounts to the engine. Does anyone have a big block powered C-Body they'd be willing to photograph and post here so I can figure out how, what and where? Please?

Also, I have a non AC alternator bracket to mount the alternator because it's gonna be a while before I restore AC to this thing. Any pics of those someone has converted would be cool also.

What car? From what you've posted I think you have a '69 to '71? Pretty sure C bodies started getting Saginaw pumps in '72? Year makes a difference. Check eBay for faxon literature, engine assembly manuals.

Faxon Auto Literature | eBay Stores

Pump isn't in either picture. 2nd pic shows the pump reservoir and pulley on the left next to the transmission dipstick tube.

Pump itself has 2 bolt holes on the side and a single hole on the back to hold the reservoir & bracket together, no bolt holes on the front.

Car is at the shop. I'll take pics of the pump itself when I get there this afternoon.

This is the only 2 pics of it I have on my phone before it all came apart:
IMG_20190523_182402.jpg
IMG_20190523_182453.jpg
I'm wondering if I have all the necessary parts, if they were lost by me during disassembly or left at the powder coaters.

Check the parts book downloads at www.mymopar.com for a model year that uses the Saginaw pump. The parts illustrations "exploded view" ofd the power steering system would probably show the parts and where they go.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Okay, I was wrong. It's not a Saginaw, it's a Federal. There's no bolt holes on the front, there are 2 holes on the side and a single bolt on the back. I was under the assumption it was a Saginaw based on the seal kit Advance Auto sold me. Yesterday when I attempted to rebuild it, I found it was missing some appropriate sized seals, it had extra seals that wouldn't fit, and the front seal was the wrong size.

Here's a pic I found online that looks identical to mine.
PS6157.jpeg

I figured out some of the brackets but I may be missing some. There's one the runs sideways to mount somewhere to the side of the motor but I can't find it. Not sure if I lost it or if the powder coaters did.
(Sigh).
I may have to just pony up some bucks, buy a new complete Saginaw unit and a matching bracket assembly.

It doesn't help that I only have 2 months to finish this car and be on the road, I'm moving to Texas the end of October.

Back