Big block rockers

Ross Wooldridge

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Question -

I have a set of 516 heads ('66 440), that need rebuilding.

Are the rockers and shaft assemblies from non-516 casting heads interchangeable? Someone is selling a set from a 383 that look identical in the picture, but the seller isn't revealing what head casting they came off.

Please advise what works and what doesn't.

Thanks!

The pushrods are different between early and late big blocks, the lifters use a smaller ball on early motors.
Of course they are different lengths between B and RB

So, if my original pushrods are OK, will they work?
The ball size difference applies to the lifter end only, rockers are all the same. I have a really nice set of used rockers/ shafts I'd let go for cheap. Don't know how big a pain it is to ship to Canada under present circumstances.

1969 and newer use same push rods and lifters...
1968 and older use a different push rod and lifters..
Shafts are the same thru the years...
There is a "hardened" shaft available from Mopar Performance..
For a street car totally not needed...
Stamped steel rockers are pretty much the same thru the years..
Note there is a "left" and a "right" rocker... ( intake / exhaust )
The spacers are the same thru the years...

Excellent. Thank you!

Seller claims they are from a 67 383, and that they're nearly new from a rebuild, and that they changed their minds and with a hydraulic setup.

Is it evident when putting an original pushrod from a 66 440 against the INCORRECT later model lifter that they're not compatible?

The ball size difference applies to the lifter end only, rockers are all the same. I have a really nice set of used rockers/ shafts I'd let go for cheap. Don't know how big a pain it is to ship to Canada under present circumstances.

Thanks - I will definitely keep that in mind - I expect that if these parts I'm interested in are good and compatible that the cost factor will still be significantly less than purchase and shipping costs of yours, but you never know! PM me to discuss, and then we can go from there.

Thanks - I will definitely keep that in mind - I expect that if these parts I'm interested in are good and compatible that the cost factor will still be significantly less than purchase and shipping costs of yours, but you never know! PM me to discuss, and then we can go from there.
Wasn't really actively trying to sell, just some stuff I have lying around that I need to sell eventually. Say $25 or so plus whatever the ride is. Don't know where the end retainer/ bolt is, would have to look for that. No obligation of course.
Rockers 383.JPG

@Xenon the heads that came with the engine I just bought are toast (busted, rusted, valve stem towers broken, yadda yadda). The 66 heads I'm getting to replace them require rebuilding, and I've told will need new rockers as they're worn out.

@PH27L7 - those look great, and that's a generous offer for sure! I'll keep you posted.

Get new pushrods. The old ones were settled in with your old rockers and lifters. Mopar stamped steel rockers were the best in the industry, and totally good for what you're doing. I have some nice ones off some 906 heads that I'll use for the 915s.....

Back