Body acid deep

Reaction score
Hello everyone
I don't come often on the forum because I'm very busy at my workshop I'll will try more often to keep you informed of the progress of my HANK project, here's where I'm at maybe some of you are going find me crazy to go so far with a 4 door and well I confirm it to you I'm crazy lol, the car was completely dismantled in parts and the body was deep in an acid bath after having repaired the few small holes here and there I had the body powder coated

Screenshot_20230527_090226_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230527_090306_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230527_090528_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230527_090707_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230527_090836_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230527_090916_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230527_090954_Gallery.jpg

Nice to know I'm not the only one crazy enough to go all out on a 72 Polara 4 door! That looks amazing, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on this build, thanks for posting.

After the "dip", I hope you inspected and touched-up any body sealer seals where the sealer was lost or deteriorated . . . just for general principles.

Interesting coating, too! Four door or not.

I applaud you on our undertaking and look forward to how things progress.

Take care,
CBODY67

A customer acid dipped a 70 'cuda that I had to paint and will never do it again. The car oozed out of all the pinch welds for months taking the paint with it. That was in 2012 and now 13 years later it has rust forming in all the areas that were stripped by the acid but couldn't be covered with primer or paint.
Anyway that being said your car is looking great! I hope your results are better.

I thought your comment was directed at me yes.
Well, if the **** fits, wear it! Lol!
These 4- door sedans don’t have much of a following. And hardly ever do they get a full scale restoration such as this one is starting out to be.
I’ve never had one acid dipped but I’ve sure had and saw a few that it couldn’t have hurt.
However a person chooses to restore an old car and no matter how good of a job they do, unless they are kept in a climate controlled garage, and never get driven, rust always wins in the end.
I’ve had one of these cars and this is way better than what they left the factory with. It will definitely preserve it better than doing nothing or some half-*** paint job.
Some people like to sit back and say nothing until they can nitpick. My goodness, what he has done with this car is no small undertaking. I have the feeling he is capable of following thru. I hope I’m here to see it when he does!

Back in the middle 1970s, a friend wanted an old car to drive for his photography work. He found a '50 Plymouth sedan in a lady's back yard and bought it for $50.00. I helped him get it running and such. THEN we decided to paint it . . . mistake #1. He rented a commercial sand blaster to get the old paint off quickly. Mistake #2, the sand had moisture in it, which resulted in "Hell Dents" as he tapped the body to get the nozzle unclogged. Finally got it blasted and then shot primer on it. Mistake #3, without metal prep or a finer sand to finish it, the primer did not penetrate into the blasted surface. In about 2 weeks, I could see little pin-head size evidence of rust underneath. That's as far as it got as he lost interest and his parents were getting displeased with that whole deal . . . but it did keep him off the streets at night, lol.

We did not start on that project purely as rookies, but we talked to experiences painters who told us no metal prep was needed, just primer it and put paint on top of that. But this car was sitting outside getting construction dust on it, with some heavy dews. Mistake #4, not realizing that primer is porous enough to allow moisture to wick through it. Mistake #5, using an airless spray gun from a pawn shop!

But I did score a pristine factory service manual for the car. And a deal for a reman fuel pump from a rebuilder. No core needed.

Maybe we just had poor luck following directions? Although I'd seen (prior and afterward) body people make things look easy. BTAIM

Enjoy!
CBODY67

A customer acid dipped a 70 'cuda that I had to paint and will never do it again. The car oozed out of all the pinch welds for months taking the paint with it. That was in 2012 and now 13 years later it has rust forming in all the areas that were stripped by the acid but couldn't be covered with primer or paint.
Anyway that being said your car is looking great! I hope your results are better.
I've been using this technique for 17 years and the first one I did was a 70 yellow challenger and it's as beautiful as the first day I finished it, I don't use the sandblast technique I consider it a destructive technique but that's only my opinion, the one who does the work of the bath must be competent in this method of neutralizing the acid if it's badly done it is sure that he can have a bad reaction.

After the "dip", I hope you inspected and touched-up any body sealer seals where the sealer was lost or deteriorated . . . just for general principles.

Interesting coating, too! Four door or not.

I applaud you on our undertaking and look forward to how things progress.

Take care,
CBODY67
I did a thorough inspection of all the corners of the body to be sure not to have bad reactions in the oven and other reason.

the one who does the work of the bath must be competent in this method of neutralizing the acid if it's badly done it is sure that he can have a bad reaction.
Exactly.

I've seen it work great.. and I've seen it turn into a mess too. It's all about who dipped it. Gotta have someone that does more than dip furniture.

I've seen some blasting horror stories too.

Back