Brake Help

BoatMan

Reaction score
Fellas- Tried to bleed my brakes because they were a little spongy and had a leak coming from this connection. This is in the rear of the car on the driver's side. Is there a way to replace the connection or do I replace the lines and connection? You can see where it sprayed up onto the under body.

0803170711a.jpg

Replace all of your rubber hoses that look like that one. And that steel line doesnt look to good either.

Personally, I'd replace the whole thing, soft line, hard line and connector. They all look pretty crusty and I don't see that flare fitting coming off in one piece.

Last edited:
As above, replace the brake hose.

Chances are really good you aren't going to get that hose off that steel line without destroying it, so figure on replacing the steel line too.

I'm with the others on replacing all of the rubber hoses and any steel lines that look like that one.

My preference for the steel lines would be to switch over to Ni-Copp. It's a little pricey, but it flares beautifully and is easy to bend into about any shape you want with your hands. Then you will have no worries about rusted brake lines from this point forward.

Replace the brake hose and the steel line. Would be a good idea to inspect the rest of your brake lines. Replace any brake lines found either weeping fluid or showing signs of heavy rusting.

Like mentioned in earlier posts, I would replace the rubber lines and the hard lines also. I did the ones on my 300 and got the lines from Inline Tube. Great price and fit like the factory made them. Good for another 50 years.

Okay- all new lines and hoses. Back to bleeding. Went rear right, rear left, then hit a wall. The bleeder is just out of reach of my tools. What am I missing?
15018003951451494913002.jpg

You're not missing anything. The fronts are a pain. I believe that I used a 1/4 drive deep well socket. It makes it challenging to knw how well you have them bleed. :BangHead:
This is the truth. It's kinda by feel at that point. Keep a hand in the rubber line, you can feel bubbles coming out. Once you don't, lock it up.

1/4 drive set, 6 point socket { snap on or mac } 6 inch extension with a wobble . Once open put a tight fitting clear plastic hose over the bleeder. Put the other end of the hose into a full bottle of brake fluid. Pump away , then close bleeder.... repeat 3 more times

Having an issue with the right rear line- cant seem to get it bled. I get 1" of air every time the pedal goes down (10-15 times). Since none of the others have any air coming out can I assume there is an issue with the right rear hard line or one of its connections?

You aren't going to get it to bleed right until you've corrected the leak.

Sounds to me like the rubber hose over the rear axle is sucking air. Might as well replace it .

Back