Brake Master Cylinder leak

Edison

Reaction score
I just bought this 1966 Newport today. Only issue it seems to have so far is that the master cylinder seems to be leaking. Looks like it's coming out of the top here?

Could it be that the folks I bought it from filled it up too much when they were topping off the fluids?

IMG_20140517_211210.jpg

Also, I'm used to just having a plastic or rubber cap that screws off. To remove the top, do I just remove that bolt on top? It stops just fine and drove 80 miles today with no brake softness or anything like that. But I noticed some dripping from this and want to address it ASAP.

That is normal. Yes the bolt is how you open it, long as it is full and the brakes are ok you should be good.

You will probably get people saying you should upgrade to a dual reservoir master cylinder.
It is a good idea and not a major project, never done it so I'm not sure what is involved.

Alan

a cracked or missing lid gasket can allow for fluid to spill during sharp turns, braking or acceleration

That is normal. Yes the bolt is how you open it, long as it is full and the brakes are ok you should be good.

You will probably get people saying you should upgrade to a dual reservoir master cylinder.
It is a good idea and not a major project, never done it so I'm not sure what is involved.

Alan

Concur Alan but there will be some who say it's not necessary also.

I'd say it's a great idea for safety. With a single reservoir you have brakes or don't if the single reservoir master cylinder fails. A dual system you have two circuits

Several how-to's on the Mopar forums

Thanks guys. What you are saying makes sense about it splishing and splashing out due to a gasket. When I bought it, the car had a nice layer of dust but was dry on the concrete underneath, but I drove a ton yesterday and that's when I noticed it later in the day when I popped the hood to show my uncle the car.

It's in storage right now (I don't want it kept in my drive way under a big *** tree :) ). I bought a big thing of brake fluid last night so when I go out to get the car, I'll take my tools and crack it open and top it off.

I probably will try and do the master cylinder upgrade. I'm a long time member of other forums so I'll do my Google research and report back with questions. I searched for this but only came up with one inconclusive thread on another site.

I went and topped it off this morning, didn't drive much. I'll go check it in a few days and see if it A) leaks on its own just sitting and B) if it lost any. I guess its also possible the guy that topped it off before I bought it might not have tightened the bolt enough?

I went and topped it off this morning, didn't drive much. I'll go check it in a few days and see if it A) leaks on its own just sitting and B) if it lost any. I guess its also possible the guy that topped it off before I bought it might not have tightened the bolt enough?

definitely possible but don't strip it

if you do back it off a 1/4 turn

Back