Brake rotors

cdnfury

Reaction score
I am installing 1973 discs on my 1966 fury , the spindles came with the old worn out rotors and a second set of machined rotors. When I went to install the new inner bearing and grease seal it became apparent that the rotors were different to the originals . Can you tell from casting numbers if they are usable with a different bearing or what they are off?

73 rotors used a different bearing than the 69 - 72 rotors. Some people have machined a spacer but it's not adviseable. 66 -72 drum brake spindles fit 69 - 72 discs (69 - 72 disc spindles are the same as drum), and 73 fit only 73.

Also if your car originally had discs (Budd with 4 piston calipers), then nothing interchanges and you must swap out the spindles and lower ball joints.

I am installing 1973 discs on my 1966 fury , the spindles came with the old worn out rotors and a second set of machined rotors. When I went to install the new inner bearing and grease seal it became apparent that the rotors were different to the originals . Can you tell from casting numbers if they are usable with a different bearing or what they are off?

The '73 spindle was a larger diameter so it needed a larger diameter bearing. No good way to install the larger diameter bearing on the smaller spindle. I suspect you were given a '73 rotor and the spindles were from '72 or older.

Many of the older rotors had a non removable center hub, the replacement after market rotors are usually a one piece casting. As long as they are for the correct year either type rotor will work.

Dave

May be you could take a dial caliper, measure your spindle diameter both sides, and post the measurements here.

If you paid for 73 spindles it sounds like you need your money back. Those are definitely the spindles you want. Unfortunately he probably doesn't have the 73s, they are getting harder to find.

My information is that your inner and outer diameters match a 1973 spindle. I have 1.377 inner diameter for the 1973 inner bearing and .861 inch inner diameter for the outer bearing. I have seen 1.25 inch inner diameter for the inner bearing 1972 and earlier & .750 inch inner diameter for the outer bearing 1972 and earlier. I think you are right that the machined rotors don’t match the worn out rotors that came off the 73 spindles. Maybe someone with greater expertise than I can help further with casting numbers and matching bearings to your spindles, but I would be concerned about the angles of taper. I suggest throwing the machined rotors into metal recycling and buying new 73 rotors. Best of Luck to you!

Back