Brake shoe sizes

Dave, the more I dig into the car the more evidence of "a$$-monkery" I find. Part of the fun, I guess!

I just measured the shoes off the car using calipers lining edge to lining edge, and they are almost exactly 2 1/2. They do look a bit bigger in the pictures, though.

I wonder if those are rear shoes that for some reason ended up in the front? Don't know how to tell the difference on a C-body. Also I think there are two trailing shoes on the other side, another piece of evidence of not so skilled maintenance in the past. Now I'm super paranoid, and will tear into the rear brakes as soon as I'm done with the front whenever that will be. The car is out in the driveway since I figured this would be an afternoon's work, and I want to button her up before moving on to the next task. Best laid plans...

A number of things are possible. Given that some nimrod installed the front shoes *** backwards, I would suggest pulling a rear drum to see what size shoe is on the back brakes. Brake shoes on the rear are generally narrower than on the front by design as the front brakes do the majority of the braking. If you have 2 1/2" shoes on the rear most likely you would have had 2.75" or 3" shoes on the front from the factory. If you have 2" shoes on the back, things start to get more interesting.

I have a '65 Chrysler Newport with 2 1/2" brakes on the front and 2" shoes on the rear and it is an unmolested car with 45K showing on the clock. So how does this happen. Known in Mopar as a "Production Variance". Not sure if that means that they ran out of the right parts or whatever. I know that being a Mopar tech in the '70's and early 80's that stuff like this does happen, and they used to drive us nuts. Books shows one thing, what is on the car is not what the book says should be on the car. So go figure.

Dave

If you are positive that your front drums are 11 x 2.5, check to see if that size is available for a '65 Satellite as it may be a common B Body size brake size.

There is —- N O SUCH THING —- as an 11 “ x 2 1/2 “ Front Brake Drum in the entire MOPAR World from 1963 - 1976….

Not B body, Not E body, Not C body, Not A body, Not Trucks or Vans…. Sorry ….

And, pre - 1962 has absolutely no bearing, for you, whatsoever….

There is —- N O SUCH THING —- as an 11 “ x 2 1/2 “ Front Brake Drum in the entire MOPAR World from 1963 - 1976….

Not B body, Not E body, Not C body, Not A body, Not Trucks or Vans…. Sorry ….

And, pre - 1962 has absolutely no bearing, for you, whatsoever….
ok thanks.
most the drums I see listed are 3.1xx" surface width. I will verify mine a little better.

Remember, the brake shoe does not go the entire width —— lip - to - lip, such that an 11 “ x 2 3/4 “ brake shoe goes into what is called an 11 “ x 2 3/4” brake drum —- but the overall depth of an 11” x 2 3/4” drum is 3 “ —-
And what is called an 11” x 3 “ brake shoe and corresponding
11” x 3” brake drum has an overall total depth of 3 1/4 “….
Craig….

Also, just so you are aware, I have :
*** N.O.S. *** Asbestos *** 11” x 2 3/4” And 11” x 3” Brake Shoes —- which are 50 times better than this Chineseum garbage —- the softest, smoooooothest braking surface known to mankind….. and …. I have

*** N.O.S. *** 11” x 2 3/4” And 11” x 3” *** U.S.A. Made ***
Brake Drums —- but you had better have , or have a friend who has, a United States address for the purpose of shipping them….

Yours, Craig…..

11 “ x 2 3/4 “ Fronts —- almost always —- have 11” x 2” Rears….
And
11” x 3” Fronts —- almost always —- have 11” x 2 1/2” Rears…..

Both are 99 % ers, but with MOPAR, “ Never say Every “ !!!!

pretty sure i have a 11x3 front drum brakes setup for a 66 nyr that i got for replacement on this 66 . sold the car but site have the brakes .

05170005.jpg

Cartel,
That is certainly possible —- that is why I will never say 100 % —
That would not be the first time that a car rolls off the assembly line with that set up….
I have everything, if you need anything, in Quality parts , as you know…
Yours, Craig…..

Back