Bridge to a submarine base?

My wife and I went to OBX a few years ago. There was a hurricane off the coast, going into the tunnel wasn't bad but coming out, the waves were splashing onto the roadway. I have to admit, that was a little freaky.... I was glad to get back topside.

Some pics from a couple different trips across the bridge.

rxvuVs5.jpg

OdqG9d1.jpg

vg6uJNM.jpg

GGnF4VF.jpg

6SO4Dw0.jpg

U1xhIhG.jpg

sNYNMhO.jpg

Lne2wy2.jpg

yCOoX0z.jpg

4Tk2FIR.jpg

Naaa Ya need a really, really, really tall big for these babies.
In bad weather tall bridges are no fun for the road traffic.

Virgina.Beach.Aircraft.Carrier.jpg

Aircraft Carrier passes through Thimble Shoal Channel.jpg

The last time I went through it, it cost $6.00... if memory serves me correct.
One bridge in Norfolk had all the toll booths closed with a thank you saying that the bridge had been paid for (back in the 1970's).

Been through every tunnel in the area except that one.
The first time was on I-64 by the Navy base. I was on the bike and, lucky for me a storm blew a bunch of traffic barrels across the highway at the south end so traffic was stopped. I got to the middle of the tunnel and had to wait. I stayed dry and when traffic started the next exit was my destination.

IMG_9735.JPG
Abandoned Ray's Hill tunnel Penn. Turnpike, rode through on my bike Sept.2014

IMG_9738.JPG
IMG_9739.JPG
The roadway in the tunnels is in great shape after all these years. This section of the Turnpike was closed in 1968.

We have a number of old railroad tunnels near us. The old rail lines have been turned into bicycle trails. There is at least one that is long enough and has a slight curve at the south end to it so that you cannot see all the way through it. It's nearly 3/4 of a mile long.

Back