Broken Torsion Bar

PursuitSpecial

Reaction score
I recently got this '77 gran fury running after it sat around for 20 or so years and it looks like the driver side torsion bar snapped in half while it was sitting. I have no clue how it happened, it's the extra heavy duty police package bar and as far as I know it's never been in an accident to weaken it.

Anyway, I can't seem to find any info on these torsion bars, most of the purveyors online say their bars fit certain year ranges, some inclusive of '77 and some not. What sort of replacement torsion bar should I get? The bar measures 1.060 in diameter and about 47" long, will any bar of these approximate dimensions work, or did they change the flat dimensions or clocking angle or something in '77? I tried looking up the OE part number to no avail, the last 3 digits are 965 according to the stamp, can't find it anywhere, the car is an A38 undercover police car so it got the heavy duty bars but I don't really care if that's what I replace it with, just something to get the front end off the ground.

IMG_20230524_160151997.jpg

IMG_20230524_153911758.jpg

I'm sure Firm Feel or PST can fix you right up with any diameter torsion bar you will need. My car has. Just Suspension 1.16 torsion bars on it an no way in the world are the too stiff. My suggestion, go as stiff as you can. You won't be disappointed.

I'm sure Firm Feel or PST can fix you right up with any diameter torsion bar you will need. My car has. Just Suspension 1.16 torsion bars on it an no way in the world are the too stiff. My suggestion, go as stiff as you can. You won't be disappointed.

I recently got this '77 gran fury running after it sat around for 20 or so years and it looks like the driver side torsion bar snapped in half while it was sitting. I have no clue how it happened, it's the extra heavy duty police package bar and as far as I know it's never been in an accident to weaken it.

Anyway, I can't seem to find any info on these torsion bars, most of the purveyors online say their bars fit certain year ranges, some inclusive of '77 and some not. What sort of replacement torsion bar should I get? The bar measures 1.060 in diameter and about 47" long, will any bar of these approximate dimensions work, or did they change the flat dimensions or clocking angle or something in '77? I tried looking up the OE part number to no avail, the last 3 digits are 965 according to the stamp, can't find it anywhere, the car is an A38 undercover police car so it got the heavy duty bars but I don't really care if that's what I replace it with, just something to get the front end off the ground.

View attachment 598810

View attachment 598811
Firm Feel makes an exact match. Click link below
1.06" x 47" C-body HD Street/Police (WR 185)

Oh yeah, the other side. Well from the pictures he's probably going to want to get both sides. That torsion bar that broke looked like it had seen Way better days.

I had 1.06” Firm Feel TB’s put into my former ’70 NY’er. That was 50% increase in the spring rate compared to the stock bars (which were 0.98”). Big improvement! I can only recommend.

Back