Burnt wires at Bulkhead connector

It is my understanding it's 2 sizes lower not 4, but I'm nof sure. 10 ga gets a 12 ga fusible link, so that's what I did...
The magic number is 4.

Add 4 to your wire size and that is the correct fusible link size.

Example: A #10 wire will have a #14 fusible link.

The confusion lies in wire sizes. Some seem to think #10 to #14 is a drop of 2 wire sizes and that gives you the "2" number. It's really 4 sizes, but it gets confused because when you look at NAPA and the only thing between #10 and #14 is #12. The smaller, odd number wire sizes (like #11 and #13) aren't manufactured in primary type wiring (or at least easily available), but that is the wire spec that all this was/is engineered to.

A couple links of some reading.

Catalog
Fusible Link Wire FAQs

If you don't want to think about the sizes or it still confuses... Just add 4 to the number and there you are.

Cue someone saying "There is no odd size wire" and I submit this...

https://www.solaris-shop.com/content/American Wire Gauge Conductor Size Table.pdf

Here's some #1 wire readily available:
1 Gauge Marine Grade Tinned Cable - 100 Feet

Lot's of times, wire like this enameled magnet wire uses the odd AWG sizes, like this. Same specs for diameter, just different insulator or material. Point being, still using the AWG wire sizes as a standard.

71jH5PgvxTL._SL1355_.jpg

Just didn't want you to have issues after all that great work!
Thanks again for spelling it all out.

Bottom line is the current is a bit much over time for the connectors. What I like to do is remove the male and female connectors, then use a drill to open the holes up in the bulkhead and plastic connector. I then run wires from the ammeter through the bulkhead directly to where they terminate. This makes it look pretty original and eliminates the weak point. The only downside is that if you want to take the wiring assembly apart you need to cut your wires off to get it apart. I just leave the wires a little long for when I need to cut them, which is not very often.

As mentioned there are 2 wires that carry high current that need to have this done to.

Back