Butyric acid/vomit smell

darth_linux

Reaction score
So now that the weather has warmed up, my 66 Newport has acquired a mild smell of butyric acid (vomit) when it sits in the sun for a length of time. Not present when it’s cool or cold.

I’ve had the entire interior out, steam cleaned absolutely everything, and the only thing I can think of is perhaps there is some component of the dash pad that out-gasses in the heat and has this terrible smell.

Is it just me or has anyone else experienced this?

This might be a long shot, but you might turn on the a/c "Fresh Air" and spray some Lysol into the cowl vent intake. Sometimes, "growths" of various mold and such can happen on the a/c evaporator coil. Hopefully, the Lysol (choose your preferred scent) will kill most of it. At one time, GM (and probably others) used to have a kit for killing mold and such, where you removed the blower motor resistor and sprayed the solution onto the evaporator coil directly, then rinsed it off, to kill it. Might also make sure the evaporator drain is clean and working, too!

Otherwise, it might be time for some new gaskets on the HVAC case?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Smell the steering wheel. Had it happen before. what was on the previous owners hands.

Smell the steering wheel. Had it happen before. what was on the previous owners hands.
Probably not the case here but we had a similar problem that drove us nuts. Turned out it was wooden matches in the glovebox. Based on this I would remove everything from the car and see what happens.

I would also ck evap compartment, make sure drain is clear. That can cause, have sour smell.

This might be a long shot, but you might turn on the a/c "Fresh Air" and spray some Lysol into the cowl vent intake. Sometimes, "growths" of various mold and such can happen on the a/c evaporator coil. Hopefully, the Lysol (choose your preferred scent) will kill most of it. At one time, GM (and probably others) used to have a kit for killing mold and such, where you removed the blower motor resistor and sprayed the solution onto the evaporator coil directly, then rinsed it off, to kill it. Might also make sure the evaporator drain is clean and working, too!

Otherwise, it might be time for some new gaskets on the HVAC case?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
The AC doesn’t work and I’m not using it. Would your ideas still be worth trying?

Well, problem solved. It’s my “vintage” 70s style fake leather steering wheel wrap. I put it on because my steering wheel is in VERY good shape and I don’t want to destroy it and then pay $1500 to have someone fix it.

Thanks everyone!

Back