Buying advice needed for 1977 New Yorker

AceofSpades

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new here, although I've been lurking around for quite some time now. I would be very grateful if you could take a moment to help me out.

I live in Poland, but spent my childhood in Saudi Arabia and that's when I became fascinated with American cars. Anyway, not many C-bodies make their way over here and even fewer of those that do pop up are worth a second look. I just came across one that is fairly-priced and, at first glance, looks quite clean. Keep in mind that, unlike you guys, I'm no expert, so it would be great if you could take a look at the photos and maybe pick up some things that I may have missed.
http://otomoto.pl/chrysler-new-yorker-C34821608.html
The dings on the rear fenders and thrashed vinyl top shouldn't be deal breakers, right? I think I can see some rust down on the rear right fender too. The interior looks clean though. The description is quite vague, the car supposedly runs and has been a daily(?) driver in the US, but hasn't been registered and driven in Poland. They also say that the car has been inspected by a classic car expert, this is required to register it as a classic car here, and has gotten his approval which means that it is at least 75% original.
I need to call the owner and find out more and, if it's worth the trouble, I'll go and see the car in person. It's quite a long drive so I thought I'd better ask you before I go. Could you give me some pointers as to what I should be looking for when inspecting the car? What are the usual rust spots on these cars? I know I should take a look at the chassis and stub frame, but what else? Anything particular to look out for during the test drive?
All help will be much appreciated :)

Well, is has considerable rust issues. The area around the rear window is rusted pretty bad. The vinyl top will have to come off and there is rust in a lot of areas under the vinyl and has to be repaired. The bottom of the rear quarters are probably have rust to some extent. Check the trunk floor. The area behind the chrome under the doors and open the rear doors and check for rust. The cowl rusts out to especially if its been full of leaves. The Lean Burn has been converted which is good. The bad news is it is ATC II. Check and see if the A/C works. Big problems to get it working. I would say if it's not too rusty it might be worth $2500 USD. Just my 2 cents...

Thanks, exactly the kind of opinion I was looking for :)
The asking price is about $4300, but you have to keep in mind that shipping a car from the States usually costs north of $2000. That is why I'm considering getting the car. Most c-bodies I've seen here are rust buckets with insane price tags, such as this fine example: http://otomoto.pl/chrysler-inny-300-coupe-1968-mopar-do-odnowienia-C28376769.html
They are asking $4500 for it and it doesn't even have a drivetrain.

Welcome to the site from the Motor City! I know its easy for me to say from Detroit but I'd hold out for better.

I agree with Matt... keep looking, there are a lot cars out there! I've seen many nice ones on here lately at half the price. Aside from the rust issues, that interior is the lowest on the pecking list of these cars. Keep looking you'll find the right one!...And welcome to the site from Wellsboro,Pennsylvania

Welcome. I'd pass on it. Easy to say but I see too many problems areas that would push it over the top for me....as in walk away. Patience does pay off.

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice, guys.
The only reason for me to consider it was that it has already been shipped across the ocean. I guess I'll just have to find one in the US and ship it over myself which will make all of you hate me :).
I'd prefer a 300 fusey over a formal anyway...

Last edited:
You should definitely hold out then as its not even your preference. If a car is going to a good home it doesn't matter where it goes.

Well it's not that simple, because it will probably go to some clueless idiot due to the relatively low selling price, who will then drive the car for a while and park it in a barn the minute something goes wrong. I've seen this happen hundreds of times over here.
Let's hope this one fares better though.

Back