C-body and D series trucks suspension parts Interchange?

JGC403

Reaction score
I just happen to be finishing up my '85 D-150 and tearing apart my Dad's '65 New Yorker. The upper control arms look very similar. I haven't had a chance to take measurments yet. But does anyone know if parts like upper control arms, spindles, etc intercange? I know lower control arms won't because the D series trucks are coil spring and the C-bodys are torsion bars. But If the spindles would swap from the trucks to the cars that would be a cheap disc brake upgrade. And I could get tubular upper control arms for a C-body and bolt them on my D-150.

Better check the ball joint stud diameters. KEY thing to determine if the spindles will fit something other than their intended application.

CBODY67

Disc rotors are the same as 73 Cbody up to when they changed the bolt circle on the D150. Rear brake drums work too depending on your brake shoe size.

Nothing else is the same as far as I know.

Kevin

The upper control arm bushings had the same part numbers, but it looks like the upper ball joints have different part numbers. Have to check to see what is different between the 2 ball joints is. As long as the upper control arm has the same distance between the bushings; the distance between the bushing to the ball joint is the same distance; and the hole in the control arm is the same size that the ball joints could be swapped over, I don't see why the upper control arms wouldn't swap.

The upper control arm bushings had the same part numbers, but it looks like the upper ball joints have different part numbers. Have to check to see what is different between the 2 ball joints is. As long as the upper control arm has the same distance between the bushings; the distance between the bushing to the ball joint is the same distance; and the hole in the control arm is the same size that the ball joints could be swapped over, I don't see why the upper control arms wouldn't swap.

There's a few other considerations. Is the balljoint centered between the bushings? How much lower than the bushing centerline is the balljoint if any compared to a Cbody?

Tubular arms are available for a C body. $$$

http://www.magnumforce.com/magnumstore/mobile/item.aspx?itemid=165

Kevin

I thought that I heard someone talking about swapping a Dakota spindle into a C body, but I don't remember who it was.
I recently read about this Dakota disc swap on a C-body Facebook group. I saved the parts list that was posted. I can't verify any of this, but here it is:

Dodge Dakota C-body front disc swap

Donor Parts Required.
2- 2wd 6 lug 1991-1996 dakota spindles and caliper brackets.
Brake Prop Valve off the dakota and all the lines from Mc to prop valve and ABS valve.
If the wheel bearing are good in the donor truck - take them. Save money.

New parts advised.
2 - 5341 brake rotors 5 lug 12” dakota
2- 3087 wheel seals for rotors
1- 45380040 brake hose
1- 45380039 brake hose ( raybestos part numbers. 1996 2wd dakota hoses left and right)
2 - K719 upper ball joints. ( Moog #)
1- 18-4364 brake caliper
1- 18-4365 brake caliper (left and right 1991-96 dodge dakota 2wd)
1- 3/16 flare Union.
1- 3/16 flare plug.

Wheel bearing part numbers for the 5-lug and 6-lug rotors might verify them going onto the same pn spindles?

COBDY67

i have upper control arms from a 72 D100 with the D100 spindles rotors and calipers--on my 69 fury----- made a jig and measured upper control arms from 69 fury 72 D100 73 fury and 76 fury-they all measure with in 1/16 of an inch--the 76 fury and D100 have bigger ball joints.....

i have upper control arms from a 72 D100 with the D100 spindles rotors and calipers--on my 69 fury----- made a jig and measured upper control arms from 69 fury 72 D100 73 fury and 76 fury-they all measure with in 1/16 of an inch--the 76 fury and D100 have bigger ball joints.....

How did that length difference affect what it took to align the front end? Just curious.

CBODY67

the spindle needed a 1/2 spacer at the 2 bottom bolts---the alignment shop said it was perfect with plenty of adjustment in both directions-------there was no real length difference---i see the 1/16 inch as the allowable wear on the appliance that bends the metal--just like molding fenders the mold slowly wears away and gets replaced with a new mold so there is an allowable variance built in....

Last edited:
Would this be an upgrade with bigger ball joints?
Are those d100 parts more available?

Remember that most ball joints have a tapered stud, which mates with an equally tapered hole in the spindle it mounts into. No real room for diameter increases, due to machining requirements and possible compromises in the strength of the casting being machined, which could lead to a huge safety and liability issue, should a failure occur. BTAIM

CBODY67

Remember that most ball joints have a tapered stud, which mates with an equally tapered hole in the spindle it mounts into. No real room for diameter increases, due to machining requirements and possible compromises in the strength of the casting being machined, which could lead to a huge safety and liability issue, should a failure occur. BTAIM

CBODY67
I'm lost with what you're trying to say? The d100 stuff must be stronger, it's a truck. And no one's talking about mix and matching parts if I read correctly.

"Truck" can be relative. Ever look under a fuselage Imperial? Are we talking "truck" as "mid-size Dakota" or "truck" as D250HD? One never knows just how "close to the edge" of the design a particular suspension part might be, which can also relate to production cost. Some can be over-engineered and others might not be, but still meet their design goals. FWIW

I wanted to mention the tapered holes and studs for reference, lest anybody perceive they could just ream a spindle hole to match.

FWIW,
CBODY67

Back