C-Body Front Disc Conversion Prep

Does anyone have a copy of these 2 pdf files that @SF-66TC posted in the
"fuselage drums to disc brake conversion" thread?

The links went to his dropbox and are no longer active. I'd love to get a copy of them before I
start my conversion.

His inbox is full and he hasn't been online since 12/17/2020. Hope he's OK.

There are 2 files, one for 69-72 spindles and one for 73 spindles.

Drum to Disc Conversions Using 69-72 Spindles
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/433231/Drum to Disk Conversion - 69-72 Spindles _040316.pdf

Drum to Disc Conversions Using '73 Spindles
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/433231/Drum to Disc Conversion -73 Spindles_ 040316.pdf

Thanks in advance if someone can track these down for me!

Mark

I woke up this morning and realized when I test fit the spindle/rotor/caliper assembly yesterday, I used my spare tire/rim, which did not have the magnum 500 center cap installed. Thought I better test it just to make sure there were no issues seating it with the cap and rear bracket installed that holds the cap on.

I didn’t have an extra cap, so decided to use my passenger side front wheel for the test. Removed that wheel from the car, slid the assembly into place and installed 3 lug nuts to torque it down to check for any interference with the cap. It still fit just fine, so that was a relief. Decided to give the caliber a spin around the rim and wouldn’t you know it but something was rubbing...

Cap bracket installed, no problem here:
F03C5055-9E2D-4E25-A1A3-464D876352C9.jpeg

Note rub mark on caliper...
5BA4AEE1-30F3-4E63-89AB-51C70F907397.jpeg

and on the adhesive wheel weights on the inside lip of the rim...
DABD2732-E3BB-4647-AD69-8E780AED6955.jpeg

Was a little disappointed but after pondering for a couple minutes went and verified my spare rim that I tested with yesterday only had a wheel weight clipped to the outer rim edge, which is why I didn’t notice the issue yesterday.

I checked the other 3 rims on the car and both rear wheels have similar placed adhesive weights on them, but the rear SSBC brakes do not rub on them (smaller rotor assembly). The other front wheel only had a clip on wheel weight on the rim edge so that won’t have an issue.

Made an executive decision to put the spare tire/rim on the front and demote the rim that I tested with the rub this morning to the spare... problem solved!

If I ever need to put the new spare on the front of the car, I’ll scrape off the weights and drive it home without them...

Thanks for posting this thread. Just picked up these units hoping the caliper brackets would fit on my B-Body with 71 pin spindles. No Skogie the search continues but now I know what I have.

Thanks for posting this thread. Just picked up these units hoping the caliper brackets would fit on my B-Body with 71 pin spindles. No Skogie the search continues but now I know what I have.
You should be able to sell to a c body guy and repurchase b body stuff

Rest of the parts have been ordered!

Ended up ordering new rotors, Timken wheel bearings, brake pads, hoses, & seals. Parts should be here in about a week!

Does anyone have a copy of these 2 pdf files that @SF-66TC posted in the
"fuselage drums to disc brake conversion" thread?

The links went to his dropbox and are no longer active. I'd love to get a copy of them before I
start my conversion.

His inbox is full and he hasn't been online since 12/17/2020. Hope he's OK.

There are 2 files, one for 69-72 spindles and one for 73 spindles.

Drum to Disc Conversions Using 69-72 Spindles
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/433231/Drum to Disk Conversion - 69-72 Spindles _040316.pdf

Drum to Disc Conversions Using '73 Spindles
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/433231/Drum to Disc Conversion -73 Spindles_ 040316.pdf

Thanks in advance if someone can track these down for me!

Mark

Hey Mark,

This is Steven SF-66TC - I've been off the forum as I've had other things going on. If you haven't already started your conversion and would still like the write-ups hit me up at [email protected] and I'll get them to you.

We’ll, almost 2 years have gone by when I said I was going to do the front brake upgrade with the ‘73 spindles and parts I had purchased many years ago. We’ll life got in the way and it still is not started. I did get the final piece prepped that I wanted to do, I got the used calipers refreshed today! Dropped them off at Phoenix Caliper Co. in Chicago. Said they’d be done in 90 minutes. Went out for coffee and 1 hour later got a call they were done!

Here’s the finished product:

IMG_8016.jpeg
IMG_8015.jpeg

I now have no excuses for getting these installed this year, but I’m planning on having a real mechanic do the install for me so it will get done properly…

We’ll, almost 2 years have gone by when I said I was going to do the front brake upgrade with the ‘73 spindles and parts I had purchased many years ago. We’ll life got in the way and it still is not started. I did get the final piece prepped that I wanted to do, I got the used calipers refreshed today! Dropped them off at Phoenix Caliper Co. in Chicago. Said they’d be done in 90 minutes. Went out for coffee and 1 hour later got a call they were done!

Here’s the finished product:
What master cylinder and booster are you using?

Did you mentioned you had a couple sets of disc spindles?

Back