C body plant to close

And then what will they do with all the leftover gasoline? Refining process produces gasoline. We(humans) still need refined petroleum products. Battery powered container ships and airplanes are completely impractical. Fact remains for the foreseeable future that diesel fuel is what powers and makes your whole world possible, all of it, from what you want to what you need, no matter how many threats the government wants you to believe about banning petroleum this or that.
You will never get the left coast and New England to be nuclear powered electric generation plant friendly. That really is the only way you can supply all the future electric demands. Otherwise it is oil and natural gas that will provide the bulk of our electric which is back to gasoline as a by-product.
While NEW vehicles will evolve into EVs, at about 30% of new vehicles sold in the USA, there ARE still gazillions of petroleum-powered vehicles in the USA. Those vehicles will not even start to die for another 15+ years, at least. So that could put things out to about 2045 or so before petroleum-fueled vehicles start to diminish.

HD OTR trucks are most likely going to head to hydrogen power rather than battery EVs, although EVs are in that mix, too.

Cummins has been in a partnership to produce diesel engines with Natural Gas Assist for many years, even producing a pure NG engine for some markets. In addition to their diesel/NG engines.

MUCH of ghe push for EVs and such is not coming from the USA, but from EUROPE. For several years, parts of Paris are off-limits to vehicles older than a certain age. The Swiss Alps has air quality issues in the winter from diesel truck emissions lingering too long before they are pushed out by normal weather patterns. So, as almost ALL of the current vehicle OEMs are multi-national rather than only USA-based, THEY have to consider ALL markets they are active in, NOT just the USA where we are located. SO, the "big picture" is more than just what WE can see locally in the USA.

CBODY67

The ilusion that an EV brings, is we are doing our part in saving the world, the production of these vehicles is so immersed in oil people forget where plastics, foam, wires, rubber all come from. All the components have a direct relation to oil in one way or another, either made with it or oil used to move it!
There will be a time when humanity will be faced with a new can of worms on how and where to dispose of the EV waste that was once designed to save the world.
85% of us have to go!

Have a nice day!

PT

While NEW vehicles will evolve into EVs, at about 30% of new vehicles sold in the USA, there ARE still gazillions of petroleum-powered vehicles in the USA. Those vehicles will not even start to die for another 15+ years, at least. So that could put things out to about 2045 or so before petroleum-fueled vehicles start to diminish
That is a rough estimate I think ICE vehicles will get prolonged life when faced with (harder to get) instead of the disposable appliances they have become. I would push it out further than that.
HD OTR trucks are most likely going to head to hydrogen power rather than battery EVs, although EVs are in that mix, too
Hydrogen is a mythical fix. As a combustion source the storage is larger than the vehicle it powers(not enough energy density) mostly from the fact that it is such a simple molecule, the long/big complex molecule that is hydrocarbons is what make it so energy dense. Fuel cells are a fantasyland in practical application. I'm sure we will get there someday, but that someday is still a long way off IMO.
Cummins has been in a partnership to produce diesel engines with Natural Gas Assist for many years, even producing a pure NG engine for some markets. In addition to their diesel/NG engines
This is practical and a way to reduce emissions in certain areas.
MUCH of ghe push for EVs and such is not coming from the USA, but from EUROPE. For several years, parts of Paris are off-limits to vehicles older than a certain age. The Swiss Alps has air quality issues in the winter from diesel truck emissions lingering too long before they are pushed out by normal weather patterns. So, as almost ALL of the current vehicle OEMs are multi-national rather than only USA-based, THEY have to consider ALL markets they are active in, NOT just the USA where we are located. SO, the "big picture" is more than just what WE can see locally in the USA
They are looking to cash in on technology that they develop all while knowing that it is just not going to be very popular/or sell well in certain parts of the world. If you have oil/petroleum products EVs are probably not going over 50% in the next 50 years. If you do not have oil/petroleum products they look more attractive.
The ilusion that an EV brings, is we are doing our part in saving the world, the production of these vehicles is so immersed in oil people forget where plastics, foam, wires, rubber all come from. All the components have a direct relation to oil in one way or another, either made with it or oil used to move it!
There will be a time when humanity will be faced with a new can of worms on how and where to dispose of the EV waste that was once designed to save the world.
85% of us have to go!

Have a nice day!

PT
Yes

That is a rough estimate I think ICE vehicles will get prolonged life when faced with (harder to get) instead of the disposable appliances they have become. I would push it out further than that.

Hydrogen is a mythical fix. As a combustion source the storage is larger than the vehicle it powers(not enough energy density) mostly from the fact that it is such a simple molecule, the long/big complex molecule that is hydrocarbons is what make it so energy dense. Fuel cells are a fantasyland in practical application. I'm sure we will get there someday, but that someday is still a long way off IMO.
This is practical and a way to reduce emissions in certain areas.
They are looking to cash in on technology that they develop all while knowing that it is just not going to be very popular/or sell well in certain parts of the world. If you have oil/petroleum products EVs are probably not going over 50% in the next 50 years. If you do not have oil/petroleum products they look more attractive.

Yes
We will never be free of oil production, just stop, look around you right now, I myself am surrounded by oil, at a glance I see over 50 items made of plastic including the device I am communicating with you and the seat I am sitting on. The world we live in is based on oil!
It will be centuries before we are no longer oil dependant.

Have a nice day,

PT

Over the years when they tried to "modernize" the styling, the consumers hammered them for it. Remember the ONE year of rectangular headlights? And the t-shirt "Real Jeeps have round headlights"? Only so many things you can do AND maintain the Jeep look, round headlights, fenders, and the number of slots in the grille. Adding the old High Impact colors into the mix did help a bit. In other words, Jeeps can't be refreshed every few years as other vehicles need to be to remain competitive.

Maybe they should send their marketing department back to school. If your customer base wants a new Jeep that looks for the most part just like the old one, then sell them one and continue to sell them one and while you're at it, get their friends to buy one.

The Jeep Brand is an identity symbol to its customers much like Harley Davidson is to their's. Mess with that image even slightly and you are doomed. V-Rod anyone? The real diehards won't own or ride anything without points, a carburetor and a kick starter. Fortunately for Harley, they are a minority but the rest of them with their his and hers Harley jackets want a Shovelhead Electraglide that starts and doesn't leak oil. If they wanted something else, they'd buy a Goldwing.

Kevin

Last edited:
Looks like moniker "American made" continues to degrade to nothing more than a Marketing slogan. Monterrey Mexico is the new Detroit. Long ago Ross Perot sounded the alarm when he ran for President "that giant sucking sound you hear is our jobs moving south of the border". No one listened, the media instead made fun of his ears. Both Clinton and Bush Jr sold out our Mfg industry with NAFTA and CAFTA, love to know how much $ they collected on those decisions. Today our Govt is making the same catastrophic decisions with EVs only this time the kickbacks and $ to be made is 1000x higher.
EPA cracks down on trucking industry to push an all-electric fleet

Looks like moniker "American made" continues to degrade to nothing more than a Marketing slogan. Monterrey Mexico is the new Detroit. Long ago Ross Perot sounded the alarm when he ran for President "that giant sucking sound you hear is our jobs moving south of the border". No one listened, the media instead made fun of his ears. Both Clinton and Bush Jr sold out our Mfg industry with NAFTA and CAFTA, love to know how much $ they collected on those decisions. Today our Govt is making the same catastrophic decisions with EVs only this time the kickbacks and $ to be made is 1000x higher.
EPA cracks down on trucking industry to push an all-electric fleet
That's for new trucks from 2027 on, there will still be plenty of trucks on the road, and make them worth more as a result.

That's California, they never make any sense.
Unfortunately for us, Minnesota is right behind California. Look for -exactly- the same here. More at: Minnesota adopts California EV mandate. Minnesota approved CRT Curriculum. Minnesota Drag story hour. And, Minnesota most diverse Legislature. Not that there's anything wrong with that of course...

Last edited:
That MPCA move to adopt California's EV mandate was pure crap. And the rest I don't approve of but the legislature make up.

But no matter, there will still be a million cars and trucks sucking down good old gasoline and diesel for many years, while the mandated EV's will sit on dealer lots while very few want to buy them.

And chicken little said........
Sure, you can still own those trucks but the the Govt still gets to decide where you're allowed to drive them. We get what we vote for.
California Looks to Ban Diesel Trucks at Ports by 2035
Haven't driven my truck in the Shakey since 1999. Made a pretty good living shipping containers on the train to California, and I got to go the same speed as the 4 wheelers, and home every night. Now if they want electric trucks to move the crap around or let it sit, that's their problem.

Stellantis announced it will be idling Bellvidere Assembly by Feb. 2023 For a period of no less tha a year. The Belvidere. Il plant was opened in 1965 to build C bodies: Dodge Polara, Chrysler Town and Country wagons, Plymouth Furys. The plant is on 280 acres and is 5.3 million sq ft.
Jeep Cherokee is currently built there. Stellantis explanation is Covid supply chain issues, slow demand for ICE vehicles and the cost of changing production to all electric. But the replacement for the Jeep Cherokee (electric?) would be built at the Toluca , Mexico facility. Hopefully they will repurpose this plant.
Late to the discussion here; just stumbled upon the thread. That was my car’s “birthplace.” Sad.

Those were the good old days when “ICE vehicle” meant only something like this:
35202994-B6EC-441F-BC6D-A36609D2C906.jpeg

The plant closed on September 15, 2011. The last Crown Victoria built by the remaining 300 employees was sent to Saudi Arabia."
I've heard of the Iraqi taxi, but never the Saudi Victoria!

That's an interesting fact I was unaware of. There is a good YouTube video of the last one built, and alot of the employees. I'm curious as to why it went there.

Took a pic for the history books.
The place looked like a ghost town.

20230115_165332.jpg

20230115_165153.jpg

Back