Cam for EFI

spitfire

Reaction score
I think i need to rebuild my '68 383 with 2bbl. But later i would buy a fitech efi 400,maybe next year. My question is which cam need for efi and also good for 2bbl?
Everything stock,single exhaust.
Is there any chance?

I think i need to rebuild my '68 383 with 2bbl. But later i would buy a fitech efi 400,maybe next year. My question is which cam need for efi and also good for 2bbl?
Is there any chance?

It doesn't matter what cam you go with, Get as wild or mild as you want. EFI does not rely on vacuum to atomize fuel, the internal injectors insure that. And as far as exhausts go, the only concern is the placement of the O2 sensor.

It doesn't matter what cam you go with, Get as wild or mild as you want. EFI does not rely on vacuum to atomize fuel, the internal injectors insure that. And as far as exhausts go, the only concern is the placement of the O2 sensor.
The MAP sensor requires vacuum and the ECM uses it for load sensing without a MAF sensor, most aftermarket EFI systems are speed density using the MAP sensor.
It will be easier for the ECM to tune idle if the cam has a tighter lobe sep angle

Are you going to change the exhaust to duals? If your keeping the single exhaust stick with a stock cam. Going duals you can go a little bigger on the cam but not to big because of the 2bbl.
This one would work well with EFI because of the tight lobe separation angle it will make good vacuum.

Mopar Performance P4529270AE: Purple Shaft Hydraulic Camshaft & Lifter Kit Chrysler 361, 383, 400, 413, 426W, 440 (3-Bolt) | JEGS
I've checked the purple sound but it is lumpy for me,any other cam with smooth sound?
The exhaust will stay yet.

For example with a mild cam will work acceptable with the small 2bbl?

Is there any chance?

Don't know what version of Fitech your looking at but the ones I've installed have no external MAP sensor or MAF sensor only O2. Most MAF sensors are externally mounted in an air horn, the MAP sensor you're referring to is an internal unit that is adjusted by the input from the O2 sensor and internal IAT. It's basically a "sudo" sensor that works and is programmed by a wide range of vacuum values via the ECM. These units basically work on any engine in their designated size range.

Last edited:
I am not trying to get into a pissing match here but the MAP is not a sudo sensor in the Fitech, any speed density EFI uses MAP, TPS, Coolant temp and O2 sensor to calculate load to supply fuel. So the more wild the cam the more it needs to learn and it may be just fine but I wanted to use caution when recommending a cam.
This is bigger than stock but not exterme
COMP Cams High Energy Camshafts 21-213-4

Back