Came across a story about member "Welder guy"

300rag

It's Not Going to Shift Itself
Reaction score
@Welder guy , I saw this today while looking at a few things on MSCC

IMGP5582.jpg

DECEMBER 2016: ’69 SPORT FURY CONVERTIBLE: IT WOULD BE LIKE SELLING YOUR DOG | MyStarCollectorCar

That was at Camrose Alberta a few years back. They have a great show with about 200 cars. I forgot all about that write up.

What a beauty that car is. Looks to be perfection.

Very neat car! Very nice story!

CBODY67

I don't think I am aware of any other C body with that many miles on it, and a convertible to "boot"!

I was just wondering Marlow, in all those miles did you ever have to replace anything due to stress cracks or excess wear such as frame elements (stub frame or other wise) or suspension elements (control arms, torsion bars, etc. apart from normal wear items such as ball joints, etc.)?

Was your car ever subjected to any significant salt or have any significant rust in those areas as well?

Last edited:
I don't think I am aware of any other C body with that many miles on it, and a convertible to "boot"!

I was just wondering Marlow, in all those miles did you ever have to replace anything due to stress cracks or excess wear such as frame elements (stub frame or other wise) or suspension elements, etc?
Agreed... she's gone so many times farther than anything was ever engineered for service life. Not picking on the car at all, but she's prime laboratory study material due to the mileage.

The aviation guys seem to be most familiar with this idea... fun to think about next time your staring out the airplane window at that flexing/flapping wing, that eventually it will be replaced due to metal fatigue and those guys have an inspection schedule to check for cracks on the rest of the skin/framework... I still don't feel warm and fuzzy about the 787 construction (glue/plastic... not to mention the lithium batteries). Had an engineer customer back in the 80's who wouldn't own a car from that era with more than 60k on the odometer, just because of metal fatigue. I had the conversation several times with him... I just couldn't wrap my head around it. Most of the cars I've owned started at over 100k and a few had far more than that.

Agreed... she's gone so many times farther than anything was ever engineered for service life. Not picking on the car at all, but she's prime laboratory study material due to the mileage.

The aviation guys seem to be most familiar with this idea... fun to think about next time your staring out the airplane window at that flexing/flapping wing, that eventually it will be replaced due to metal fatigue and those guys have an inspection schedule to check for cracks on the rest of the skin/framework... I still don't feel warm and fuzzy about the 787 construction (glue/plastic... not to mention the lithium batteries). Had an engineer customer back in the 80's who wouldn't own a car from that era with more than 60k on the odometer, just because of metal fatigue. I had the conversation several times with him... I just couldn't wrap my head around it. Most of the cars I've owned started at over 100k and a few had far more than that.
B-52.

No more needs to be said regarding a long life and ‘engineered’ service life...

Well way back when the car was new Saskatchewan Canada never used any salt on the hyways. They still hadn’t used any by the time I bought the car. I think that is a big reason why it’s still in fairly good shape. I’ve tried to keep after the rust when it appears . I have 6 - 69 fury parts cars that I treat like my own personal NAPA store. I have a sea can full of parts from a couple of them that I stripped down , I keep what I think are the best parts in there out of the elements. My future plans include changing out the stub frame with a very nice used one that I already removed from one of the parts cars , mine is showing some rust issues. The new stub will be rebuilt with the disc brakes from a 73.

It’s not a factory colour, i picked it out 21 years ago . I would have to do some deep digging in the old paperwork to find the name of the colour.

Back