Can't get rear wheels on my 73 Fury ?!?!

To @Big_John's point, there are TWO rear shocks for those C-bodies, one part number of which is shorter than the other one. I ran across that years ago doing shock upgrade research. In some respects, the listings were a bit murky at that time, but seems like one was for the HD suspension, C-body wagons, and B-bodies? That was the shorter one. I was doing his 40-some years ago, so it could be possible that some more current listings just show one shock, the shorter one. In a move to consolidate similar part numbers and save inventory costs.

Just some recollections . . .
CBODY67
One of the suspension "tricks" for more rear suspension movement with a drag car was the use of C-body shocks on a B-body. My memory is a little fuzzy, but the thinking at the time was to have the rear raise on launch and using the Super Stock Mopar springs, the car could come up pretty high real fast and they didn't want the shocks bottoming out (which would unload the tires)

One of the suspension "tricks" for more rear suspension movement with a drag car was the use of C-body shocks on a B-body. My memory is a little fuzzy, but the thinking at the time was to have the rear raise on launch and using the Super Stock Mopar springs, the car could come up pretty high real fast and they didn't want the shocks bottoming out (which would unload the tires)

The "rear end raise" was the torque reaction, which was supposed to better plant the rear tires for optimum traction. The rear axle was moving "down" as the body raised and the rear suspension separated from the body, as I recall.

Taking the spring clamps off of the rear of the leaf springs could also result in some jaw-dropping leaf separation on the rear part of the rear leaf springs, by observation.

The "rear end raise" was the torque reaction, which was supposed to better plant the rear tires for optimum traction. The rear axle was moving "down" as the body raised and the rear suspension separated from the body, as I recall.

Taking the spring clamps off of the rear of the leaf springs could also result in some jaw-dropping leaf separation on the rear part of the rear leaf springs, by observation.

I went on a tangent with my last post. LOL

But, it's always been my opinion that the consolidation of parts that "fit" everything bites us once in a while. We've all seen wrong aftermarket applications and I've (and others) warned many times to be careful of the eBay "this fits" listings.

The other thing to consider is a lot of these cars passed through some sketchy owners and used car dealers along the line. Ever see someone's newly purchased used car with one tire that doesn't match the others? I'll bet a lot of us that have been around have.

I could see "Hey, this car needs shocks, what have we got on the shelf?".... "these will probably fit"... scenario happening very easily at the corner muffler shop or used car lot, especially before the car had any value other than cheap transportation.

These are answers to some questions.

Both sides measure 2-1/2" from inner wheel lip edge to widest part of tire.

I installed KYB Gas-A-Just KG5512 rear shock. At some point I'll jack up one side and disconnect the shock to see if the axle drops lower.

Everything is original...leaf springs, shackles, etc. This car has 40,000 miles on it and was never used for Taxi duty.

Wheels are 15 X 6-1/2 H wheels which were removed from a 1974 Fury 2-door.

These are answers to some questions.

Both sides measure 2-1/2" from inner wheel lip edge to widest part of tire.

I installed KYB Gas-A-Just KG5512 rear shock. At some point I'll jack up one side and disconnect the shock to see if the axle drops lower.

Everything is original...leaf springs, shackles, etc. This car has 40,000 miles on it and was never used for Taxi duty.

Wheels are 15 X 6-1/2 H wheels which were removed from a 1974 Fury 2-door.
Check out the Post #1 and Post #20
Rear Shocks 1970-1973 Chrysler 1971-1973 Plymouth C-Bodies

Thanks Big_John, that was very helpful. I checked RockAuto and most rear shocks have a extended length of 22.5 inches which is the same length as my KYBs. Looks like the only rear shock that has the correct extended length is Gabriel 81091 Guardian or Gabriel 81091 Red Ryder which has a 25.25 extended length. So I could keep a wrench, ratchet and socket in my Fury to unbolt the lower end of the shock if I get a flat tire. Or Just replace my KYBs for 81091 Gabriel's. I'll probably replace my KYBs.

Thanks Big_John, that was very helpful. I checked RockAuto and most rear shocks have a extended length of 22.5 inches which is the same length as my KYBs. Looks like the only rear shock that has the correct extended length is Gabriel 81091 Guardian or Gabriel 81091 Red Ryder which has a 25.25 extended length. So I could keep a wrench, ratchet and socket in my Fury to unbolt the lower end of the shock if I get a flat tire. Or Just replace my KYBs for 81091 Gabriel's. I'll probably replace my KYBs.
I think it would be interesting if we could look at a 70's vintage shock catalog and get some shock specs for comparison.

I had KYB 5512s on my 1972 Fury. Exact same problem with 215 tires. Wrong shock for the car. Also wrong for 1972-1973 Chrysler. Returned 5512s to Rock Auto and told them the listing was wrong. Did they correct it? Sounds like: NO.

Back