Can't help myself. Bought another car -- a 1961 Dodge Pioneer

FWD Look Fan

Reaction score
I am fortunate to have a true partner in my wife who understands that an empty garage space is an itch that I just have to scratch.
Enter our third MOPAR from the 1960 to 1963 years. Adding to the 1960 New Yorker and the 1963 Pace Setter, is a 1961 Dodge (Dart) Pioneer.
I have a warm spot for these MOPAR ugly ducklings and I couldn't resist the "ingrown toenail" fins on this car.
I now have an itch to add a 1962 example to fill in the gap... A 1962 Valiant S Series?
I don't know ifI can broach that subject without first building another garage.
Or maybe buying a bunch of jewelry first???
Anyway, here's the car. It really makes me smile. I'm not looking to make it pristine, but looking forward to making it better!

If I had the space to add another car it would be a 61 Dart, Phoenix or a Pioneer. Best looking early Darts from 59 to 61 and classed as a full-size car. Amazing how you could get these cars ordered to your liking, not positive sure but I think you could even get an optional 383 in 61 with 11" drums. Seen swivel seats, all kinds of trans set up. Love the styling effort put into this car. Seen all kinds of color combinations but I love the black with dark red interior. These cars caught hell back in the day for their styling and placement of lighting and whatnot but when I walk around one of these a body's I see beautiful design. Hell that concave grill and front bumper with bullets on the outer corners might even lower drag coefficient some. That's what I'm going to tell myself anyways. I just like the front end of a 61 simply clean and beautiful. Post more pics, we need to see. Congrats and good luck to you and yours.

Many times, "ugly ducklings" are just a questionable combination of neat styling components, which by themselves, are great. Others can term it "distinctive". Some color combinations look better than others, too.

I am fortunate to have a true partner in my wife who understands that an empty garage space is an itch that I just have to scratch.
Enter our third MOPAR from the 1960 to 1963 years. Adding to the 1960 New Yorker and the 1963 Pace Setter, is a 1961 Dodge (Dart) Pioneer.
I have a warm spot for these MOPAR ugly ducklings and I couldn't resist the "ingrown toenail" fins on this car.
I now have an itch to add a 1962 example to fill in the gap... A 1962 Valiant S Series?
Anyway, here's the car. It really makes me smile. I'm not looking to make it pristine, but looking forward to making it better!

[/URL]
Congratulations ! As far as the ugly duckling comment? Wrong!

To all:
I hereby heartilty, and humbly, retract and apologize for my characterization of the appearance of my beautiful Dodge Dart Pioneer.
Please forgive me.
Yours in contrition,
Chris, the admirer of all things MOPAR

[/URL]
1960 --
Be careful. When I told my wife I wanted to get a '65 Sport Fury that was a twin to the one I had when I was dating her, she was in full agreement so it's now in my garage. But then after the deal was done, she then lowered the boom by saying if I was going spend all that money on car, she said she wanted the same amount for her use. So, that *^T#$#%#@ '65 SF has turned out to be the most expensive car I've ever bought (i.e., a new stone terrace, a new kitchen, and a redecorated dining room).
Incidently, I don't know if you're interested in this kind of thing, but the Ramchargers back in 1961 campaigned a '61 Pioneer 2-dr H/T with a 413 that almost took the top S/S honors at the NHRA Nationals that year. No '61 Plymouth or Dart came off the assembly line with a 413, but that year the NHRA, AHRA, and NASCAR all allowed "dealer installed" parts to be used in the stock classes. Chrysler then formally stated that the 413 and associated special cam, lifters, pistons (13:1 forged), "short" long ram manifolds, etc. were "authorized" parts for dealer installation. So, the replacement of the /-6 in your car by a 413 would be entirely kosher.
Joe Godec
'57 Chrysler 300C, '60 Fury SonoRamic, '65 Vette Fuelie, '65 Sport Fury 426S/4-speed

1960 --
Be careful. When I told my wife I wanted to get a '65 Sport Fury that was a twin to the one I had when I was dating her, she was in full agreement so it's now in my garage. But then after the deal was done, she then lowered the boom by saying if I was going spend all that money on car, she said she wanted the same amount for her use. So, that *^T#$#%#@ '65 SF has turned out to be the most expensive car I've ever bought (i.e., a new stone terrace, a new kitchen, and a redecorated dining room).
Incidently, I don't know if you're interested in this kind of thing, but the Ramchargers back in 1961 campaigned a '61 Pioneer 2-dr H/T with a 413 that almost took the top S/S honors at the NHRA Nationals that year. No '61 Plymouth or Dart came off the assembly line with a 413, but that year the NHRA, AHRA, and NASCAR all allowed "dealer installed" parts to be used in the stock classes. Chrysler then formally stated that the 413 and associated special cam, lifters, pistons (13:1 forged), "short" long ram manifolds, etc. were "authorized" parts for dealer installation. So, the replacement of the /-6 in your car by a 413 would be entirely kosher.
Joe Godec
'57 Chrysler 300C, '60 Fury SonoRamic, '65 Vette Fuelie, '65 Sport Fury 426S/4-speed
Uh, I'll take that under advisement, but for now I want to continue to sleep in the big bed.

Back