carb flooding after installing new fuel pump on 400 newport??

moparrookie

Reaction score
Are there different PSIs on mech pumps?? I have a holley 2 barrell...carb is flooding only after a few minutes of running! Fuel pump from NAPA...do you guys recommend a certain make, model? Any help would be appreciated...

Kind of hard to flood a carb while the engine is running. Can you describe exactly what is happening before, during, and after.

Posted via Topify using Android

Car starts up, runs for a few minutes and then you see fuel coming up on the primary side! Then stalls out...also white smoke from the carb when shut off. Weird s***...this only started happening when I changed out the pump??

I had this happen before a piece of rubber from the hose got stuck in the needle and seat

Yep. Not the pump but something is causing a log jam upstream from the installation.
My money is on the floats not closing.

Thanks guys, what is the best way to see if the float is not closing?? And this is one of those rebuild carbs from rock auto!

Here's the pic.
I'm not good at explaining stuff.
I'll let someone better at it chime in.

jfzy2g.jpg

Thanks, I guess I'm gonna have to take it apart and physically look at it...also the service manual is sorta vague but the float has to be set just right?? Maybe it's not parallel to the bottom of the air horn like it should be??

Before anything I would check the fuel pressure of the pump at the pump outlet. Then compare it to the max. fuel pressure that carb can handle. I have had the same thing happen to a new Eddy. If I remember right the carb max was 6 p.s.i. and the pump produced somewhere around 7- 7 1/2 p.s.i.

Back