Carburetor Electrical Connection.

Don Draper

Reaction score
I know I have been lurking for a long time, but I had a lot of bad stuff happen and am just now getting around to enjoying my car.

The battery stopped charging last weekend and after a week of unraveling and rewiring the charging system, I found out the problem. The little lug on the Carter carburetor is shorting out. This is fed by one of the "run" wires that feeds the alternator field.
My question: What the heck does this do? Do I need it? It seems to only short the system out when I step on the gas. I am baffled.

1970 Chrysler Newport Cordoba. 383 2bbl. Electronic ignition conversion.

Thanks very much,
Steve

carter 2bbl.jpg

Should not be fed by a power wire, that is for supplying a ground signal for that goofy 70-71 electric vacuum advance when at idle.

When you re-wired the alternator, did you do the ammeter bypass or something different? What was the reason for the re-wire? Just curious.

That "lug", when the throttle speed screw contacts it, completes the circuit for the vac advance idle retard solenoid on the vac advance unit. Uncompleteing the circuit (as at off-idle) should NOT cause the car to die, just the oppisite, RUN with more advance in the system. You could have unhooked the wires at the solenoid and it would have been deactivated.

Never did consider that wires "feed" the field coils, just the opposite, with the field coil wires being current outputs. Or am I missing something?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

The voltage regulator applies power to the field terminal to make the alternator chart. The more voltage the more charging it does. To test it you briefly connect battery voltage to the field terminal a and see the full output. So the field terminal is power in.

The current output is on the threaded stud of the alternator.

The voltage regulator applies power to the field terminal to make the alternator chart. The more voltage the more charging it does. To test it you briefly connect battery voltage to the field terminal a and see the full output. So the field terminal is power in.

My 1970 Fury came with factory electronic ignition. The voltage regulator grounds the second field on the alternator. The 1st field get ignition voltage. Would his car be different?
Thanks

My 1970 Fury came with factory electronic ignition. The voltage regulator grounds the second field on the alternator. The 1st field get ignition voltage. Would his car be different?
Thanks
1970 was first year for dual field alternator and solid state voltage regulator
So yes, 69 and older would be different.

Right. There is a Ignition 2 (run) feed to the voltage regulator which then goes to the input on the alternator field. The "out" field lug goes back to the other stud on the VR. That first input wire also had a pigtail that went directly to the ground tab on the carb. The Alt never did charge correctly until I took the whole thing apart and rewired it the right way. Since I don't have a electronic advance distributor, I disconnected that wire. Works great now, but I pulled out all my hair in the process.

Back