Carburetor Question

Holley's are overpriced, Brawler (Holley copy) is more reasonable. Nothing less than 750 cfm unless you are a seriously slow driver.
A Eddy avs, or avs2 is a easily adjustable demand carburetor, adjust the spring tension tighter it slows down secondary opening eliminating bog and flat spots, allowing tailoring carb to engine capabilities.

This bodes well for my little improvement package also. Thx!

I can't speak to your particular application but I can report that on my stock 440 I'm running an AVS Thunder 1813, which is 800 cfm, as recommended by my restorer at the time. It works "fine" without any particular tuning. I do suspect it's a bit "much" for the car, academically if I were doing it again I might push for the 650 cfm instead to see if it's better off the line while using less gas at the same time. I believe that this has been replaced by the AVS2 1913.

I have had excellent luck with quickfuel and aed. I run the quickfuel on my new yorker, and the aed on my chevy 496. Just call them and tell them what you have and they will make a recomendation. I only had to adjust the idle right out of the box. Both are excellent for around town and the dragstrip. Excellent drivability abd throttle response.

It is my observation that a carb slightly on the smaller side pulls a better signal and is a bit more throtrle responsive. You can set this up so that you can putt around on the primaries like a grandma but have a party when you stab it!

I switched from a '70 AVS from a 375 horsepower 440 to a Holley 4779 750 double pumper on my 440, (stock 1969 non HP pistons and cam, 489 heads and performer 440 intake) and it is seat of the pants faster. they are both rated 750 CFM. I 'm not a "bigger is better" guy. I think 750 is all you really need. With tuning of the vacuum pod, a 3310 would be most likely a better choice than a DP.
My $.02

Back