Cardone 30-3817 Reman, an EXCELLENT $40 value!

I bought one too last year and it made a big difference. I want to give you one heads up. The condenser in the rebuild distributor crapped out in one month. If Mathilda starts running like ****, all of a sudden, that would be the first thing I would check. I had 2 bad brand new condensers in a row, my current condenser is at least 35 years old and has been fine. Hopefully you still have the old condenser in your old dizzy you may need it.
Changed condenser yestereve. Cardone supplied the cheapest piece of crap I've ever seen in any old school distributor in 40 years of driving them! It lasted a week. I note the points are just as execrable, but they still work for the present, and I've a nice stock of NOS MoPar ones I scored on eBay. THOSE perform for a good while. I definitely WILL rebuild this old dizzie, using the best parts I can score for the job. The 1966 FSM is quite explicit about distributors and their maintenance/repair. Another dead mechanical art, alas!

Changed condenser yestereve. Cardone supplied the cheapest piece of crap I've ever seen in any old school distributor in 40 years of driving them! It lasted a week. I note the points are just as execrable, but they still work for the present, and I've a nice stock of NOS MoPar ones I scored on eBay. THOSE perform for a good while. I definitely WILL rebuild this old dizzie, using the best parts I can score for the job. The 1966 FSM is quite explicit about distributors and their maintenance/repair. Another dead mechanical art, alas!
I think I got 2 weeks out of my condenser. :) Still running the same points in mine.

Post pics....

Here are 2 shots of the old # 2642727 dizzy. I can just nudge the rotor to the side w my thumb about .2 mm maybe. I see brass bushings fr Summit for about $3 on eBay. I'm sorely tempted to rebuild this one and have it ready. I suspect its full of hardened lube and crap, making it difficult to turn. Note how nice the breaker plate looks though! I hope this was what you were curious about. The reman looks OK, but....

IMG_20161211_201824.jpg

IMG_20161211_201858.jpg

I was hoping for when you rebuild it.

I'll happily do that too! Ergo, Ante & Post Rebuild pics. I think outlay for rebuild parts is going to stay <= $10 for a bushing. I read a nice How2 here: How to Rebuild and Reinstall Car Distributors

I likely have to redo the vacuum advance bellows too, so whatever that runs for will add in. From this point on: the rest of the outlay is in terms of headache and elbow grease. Should make a nice little bench project this winter!

And... if you guys with points want some quality STANDARD ++BLUE STREAK ++ Points -- the best points sets ever invented --
I bought a bunch four years ago when they were discontinued.....

Back