Carlisle 2021

Depends on the event. Many shows keep a revolving 25 year rule so each year it moves up a year.
Carlisle and massive events have no cut offs.
Some gatherings are pre 75 ( or pick a year).
Since Carlisle is the all Chrysler nationals, it's fine. It's just cheezy that these guys are wimping out and not taking the classic, or ridding them altogether.
I have a Plum 392 shaker, that doesn't go on a showfield, I walk in. I have scruples.

I'm going to open up a can of worms here I know it. At what point is a car considered a too new of a late model for an event?. Would it be 1980's, 90's or 2010's? I have never agreed with brand new right off the showroom floor entries.
Full disclosure I have entered shows with my 2010 Challenger while the Imperial has been out of commission. I honestly can't just go and walk around I need to be a part of the event.

Really, it’s whatever the event organizers allow. I’m fine with metrics, Jeeps, trucks etc. Doesn’t mean I’m gonna bother to walk those rows. I’ll bet Carlisle draws a lot of the younger generations just for those classes. They probably don’t cruise the C body row or the swap area much. They still contribute to the immensity of the show. Carlisle is a “happening” as we used to say because of the number of cars and people.
I have considered parking my metrics on the show field in the past just to save me hauling parts out through the gate. Wasn’t even gonna wash the car. Just park it and lock it.

Carlisle will never limit the new cars as that is easy money for them. Just think, each one of those on the show field is what? $55 a pop to them? Thats A LOT of money coming in. Plus they have Dodge there as a vender/sponsor so you cant just tell them no late model stuff.

I went to the Furd (shitstang) show once... Solid fox body, new edge, sn197 mustangs on the show field. There was maybe a hundred or two older ford products in that show that they shoved way up on the hill in the corner. It was absolutely horrible..

I went to an All GM Show at Carlisle years ago when I still had the goat. Nowhere as good as the MoparShow. Wasdissapointed with the weak showing of GTOs. Maybe half a dozen. Period. The vette guys course are a breed unto themselves. I try to avoid them at shows and cruise-ins. very few Rivs, Caddies, Bonnevilles and other bigguns.

.......The vette guys course are a breed unto themselves. I try to avoid them at shows and cruise-ins..

LOL

corvette.jpg

sonic-americas-drive-in-ers-corvette-owners-car-show-starter-34910909.png

Carlisle will never limit the new cars as that is easy money for them.
Bingo!

They are making the campgrounds smaller and smaller every year to allow for more cars. You can fit three or four cars in a camping spot.

The Corvette show has no camping, too many cars.

....I went to the Furd (sh*tstang) show once... Solid fox body, new edge, sn197 mustangs on the show field. There was maybe a hundred or two older ford products in that show that they shoved way up on the hill in the corner. It was absolutely horrible..

Also interesting to note that the "Back to the 50s" show in Minneapolis limits entries to 1964.5 and older....you know why....

I'm going to open up a can of worms here I know it. At what point is a car considered a too new of a late model for an event?. Would it be 1980's, 90's or 2010's? I have never agreed with brand new right off the showroom floor entries.
Full disclosure I have entered shows with my 2010 Challenger while the Imperial has been out of commission. I honestly can't just go and walk around I need to be a part of the event.
I had an in depth conversation about this very topic just this weekend.

Full disclosure: From my standpoint, I can't tell a 2010 Challenger from a 2021 Challenger and I only know a Hellcat if I see the badge.

There is a place, I guess, for these cars. The local Mopar show has gotten so they are just about braking them down to colors for individual classes (only slightly exaggerating) and from what I've heard, that is because a lot of the owners are very vocal and want a better chance to win a trophy.

I don't know as that is right... but I'm also understanding that when I started showing my '69 A12 car in 1983, it was like showing a 2006 car now.... So I can't be too big of a hypocrite.

I do get sick of seeing the metrics at cruise nights, and some owners seem to be interchangeable with the stereotype Corvette owner that everyone here seems to hate. Just a gold chain away... LOL. Many are young guys, but I see a lot of guys my age too... Some can't doing any wrenching so they drive something that the dealer can fix and/or are so used to A/C and heated seats that they won't drive old cars anymore.

The exact same discussions came up when the “rice rockets” with their fart-can mufflers, neon lights and loud sound systems started showing up at the Dream Cruise. Some purist were pissed-off at the things even allowed on Woodward. Coarse the ‘32 street rod with open side pipes blasting in my drivers window would be just fine with those guys. The event organizers and venders like their cash just as much as mine.
And yeah, the official cruise is on this year.

if go with this then your early 70s c body didnt belong on the show field in the early 1990s

I noticed a real cultural shift when your viewing the old Cars, then start to walk into the new car section. A sea of Old white men turns to younger people or Blacks and Hispanics. (I say this respectfully, just my observation) Everyone has different tastes, to each their own but I just have no interest in viewing newer vehicles at all. But that doesn't mean I wouldnt want them not to show up. I heard some Hell cat chargers at the show, they sounded meaner then just about any street car i ever heard. I have tons of respect for them. Just not my bag. Give me chrome, fat tires or rusty parts.

if go with this then your early 70s c body didnt belong on the show field in the early 1990s
Actually, there weren't very many '70s C-body cars on show fields in the early nineties.

Taking the last generation Challenger for example though... That body style has been going for the past 13 years. Take a '58 Dodge, compare it to a '71 Dodge, and it's night and day. Compare that '71 Dodge to anything in the '90s and again, it's night and day. Compare a 2008 Challenger to a 2021 Challenger? I dunno... Are the wheels different? Seriously... I don't know.

There's a place for the newer cars, but as said, when they really are on the show field as a convenient parking spot, IMHO, that dilutes any appreciation for the cars that are there as "show cars".

I noticed a real cultural shift when your viewing the old Cars, then start to walk into the new car section. A sea of Old white men turns to younger people or Blacks and Hispanics. (I say this respectfully, just my observation) Everyone has different tastes, to each their own but I just have no interest in viewing newer vehicles at all. But that doesn't mean I wouldnt want them not to show up. I heard some Hell cat chargers at the show, they sounded meaner then just about any street car i ever heard. I have tons of respect for them. Just not my bag. Give me chrome, fat tires or rusty parts.
I didn't get into that section at Carlisle so I can only speak for the local scene.

Most of the people that own the Hellcats etc. around here are old white guys like me. No diversity except for maybe a few younger white guys (surprising a high percentage are cops). One exception is an older black guy... Who's an ex cop LOL.

Funny story... At a cruise night, one older Hellcat driver came up to me and wondered why I was parked next to (OMG) Ted's Challenger. I guess he figured you had to be in the inner circle of Challenger owners to park next to Ted. He actually fricking questioned me... and I didn't say anything. Ted walks by... "Hey John" The guy tells his friend "I guess he knows Ted"... And I finally said "yea, about 40 f...ing years". So he starts trying to be nice to me... "Nice Barracuda" then he says "Ever think about putting a Hellcat engine in it?". I said "No, I like women". And he got the hint and walked away.

I actually have a lot of respect for the tuners though. Don't care for the posers that are about putting the stickers on the cars (we had those guys too when we were young).

I also have a lot of respect for the Hellcat guys that are racing their cars (like my friend Ted, mentioned above). A 10 second street car is nothing to sneeze at... These guys I welcome at any show... The cars aren't all billet and fake carbon fiber.

I've had everything I own on the the showfield, even up to and including a Charger rental. It was wheely wheely wed... lol

The only one I was reluctant to bring in was my 2000 Diesel Dodge because it was a little rough around the edges, even by my so called standards. I didn't feel that way once I got there tho, WAY rougher stuff than mine there.

Kevin

if dont like the newer cars that much then their are events with much earlier cutoff

Back