Changed Thermostat

Ralph Johnson

Reaction score
I just changed the thermostat on my 383 300. It was a pain since I had to move the a/c compressor to get at the nut on one side and the other side was covered partily by the housing. Any way should I burb the system from air since it is still running hot. I also changed the radiator cap.

I just changed the thermostat on my 383 300. It was a pain since I had to move the a/c compressor to get at the nut on one side and the other side was covered partily by the housing. Any way should I burb the system from air since it is still running hot. I also changed the radiator cap.

Turn on the heater, that will circulate more water and help flush out any air bubbles. That should have happened the first time the T-Stat opened, so I suspect that you have a radiator that needs to be flushed. Check the lower radiator hose to be sure it is not collapsing and blocking off coolant flow. Check the radiator core for grass seed or other debris that could be blocking the air flow. You might also want to check the coolant temp with a probe or infrared device to verify operating temp.

Dave

Turn on the heater, that will circulate more water and help flush out any air bubbles. That should have happened the first time the T-Stat opened, so I suspect that you have a radiator that needs to be flushed. Check the lower radiator hose to be sure it is not collapsing and blocking off coolant flow. Check the radiator core for grass seed or other debris that could be blocking the air flow. You might also want to check the coolant temp with a probe or infrared device to verify operating temp.

Dave
Thanks I will flush the radiator tomorrow

I wish I had read your post yesterday. I spent 3 hours and most of the tools I own (and some new ones) trying to get that driver's side stud in. A/C compressor gets unbolted tomorrow. Thanks,

What you didn't do, I bet, is grind a notch in the bracket before you reinstalled it.
Next time a flex socket with an extension gets that thermostat housing off in 60 seconds.

What you didn't do, I bet, is grind a notch in the bracket before you reinstalled it.
Next time a flex socket with an extension gets that thermostat housing off in 60 seconds.
I don't have it off yet, however, I will look at that when I have it off. Thanks,

Back