Changing dash bulbs

somewhereinthecity

Reaction score
My 73 Town and Country has three remaining dash bulbs out -- the left turn signal, the Low Fuel, and the Engine Cold. What is the best way to access these bulbs to change them? Do they use the twist-in caps that the A and B lines use?

Grateful for any hints or ideas how best to do this without breaking anything else or aggravating the arthritis any worse than what it already is (LOL)!

Jeff in Baltimore

My 73 Town and Country has three remaining dash bulbs out -- the left turn signal, the Low Fuel, and the Engine Cold. What is the best way to access these bulbs to change them? Do they use the twist-in caps that the A and B lines use?

Grateful for any hints or ideas how best to do this without breaking anything else or aggravating the arthritis any worse than what it already is (LOL)!

Jeff in Baltimore

They use the twist in caps. You can gain some access by dropping the steering column cover. If the car has A/C getting at the back of the instrument cover is a major pain in the butt. There is not really enough room to get an adult sized hand behind the cluster. If you are old and creaky I would suggest finding a teenager to help you as you are going to have to lay on your back out the drivers door to get a hand behind the cluster. I had some luck using a long needle nosed pliers with a 90 degree jaw to grab hold of the twist out caps. Most of the time it was easier to buy my then teenage daughter ice cream as she had small agile hands.

Dave

You should be able to drop the lower A/C duct to help get in behind there and as Dave suggested, the lower steering wheel cover. Sometimes removing the ashtray helps... possibly even the radio as you might be able to reach in that way.

I've had more and more issues getting under the dash and I'm to the point where I just can't do very much there anymore. Getting stuck is my fear... I can just see Mrs. Big John dialing 911 for that. If need be, taking the front seat out makes things a whole lot easier...

Jeff in Baltimore

You might also want to check the sending unit for temp lights also. The hot and cold lights are activated by a pressure switch inside of the sending unit. Remove the harness from the switch and use a set of alligator clips to ground one of the terminals on the harness. Turn on the key to see if either idiot light comes on. If the light comes on the switch not the bulb is bad. Repeat this for the other lead on the harness. These temp switches were not the best and frequently failed.

Dave

You might also want to check the sending unit for temp lights also. The hot and cold lights are activated by a pressure switch inside of the sending unit. Remove the harness from the switch and use a set of alligator clips to ground one of the terminals on the harness. Turn on the key to see if either idiot light comes on. If the light comes on the switch not the bulb is bad. Repeat this for the other lead on the harness. These temp switches were not the best and frequently failed.

Dave
Thanks to all for the suggestions. Dave, would it be possible for you to send me a pic of what that switch looks like? I think it is is near the water pump housing?

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Dave, would it be possible for you to send me a pic of what that switch looks like? I think it is is near the water pump housing?

It is on the timing cover/water pump housing. Look at where the radiator hose connects to the thermostat housing about 1" to the left there should be a switch with a two wire cable hooked to it, that is your idiot light switch. Do not have a photo, but I think Rock Auto has one listed on their parts website. Standard Motor Products TS15. They have several other brands for this part also listed. The two pronged unit is for idiot lights, the single stud unit is for a gauge. www.rockauto.com

Dave

Back