Changing the subject- cheap toolset at Harbor Freight

300Nutter

Reaction score
62664_zzz_alt1_500.jpg

I almost bought this tool set at Harbor Freight last weekend.

For the price $99 on sale, seemed like a pretty good deal.

I almost did too and had a coupon for 93 bucks. I am pissed I didn't get it cause it has a case and would keep it in my truck. Not the best tools by any means but they are much better than nothing...

Surprisingly, most of Harbor Freight's hand tools are now made in India, not China.

I just bought one of their electric pressure washers on the weekend. I've been through two Karchers so far, and they get ruined by the hard well water combined with not getting used enough, so I figured I would try a cheap one and see how long it lasts.

I was looking at a set of Craftsman tools at ACE Hardware the other day, all made in China.

Dave

India is the new China or is China the new India? I would guess who's population is starving more? My guess is India is the new China... what a shame it always boils down to this....

I have one of these sets and it's actually pretty good for the price. Not like it really matters a lot, I've broken and bent plenty of snap on and craftsman stuff. You can't really get high quality tools anymore, in my opinion.

Well I got another coupon via email tonight 94 bucks this weekend,,, crap,,,,

Great set to have in the trunk. Use the super coupon for the free flashlight and your ready for anything!:lol:

I bought wrenches, screwdrivers socket sets etc. @ Harbor Freight for my "going to the junkyard" toolbox. They work great and if I lose one in the weeds or under a car I'm not out an expensive tool.

I was looking at a set of Craftsman tools at ACE Hardware the other day, all made in China.

Dave
That's really too bad, I see they're sold at Lowes now but haven't looked in detail to where they are made. I'll miss them, even when I worked as a mechanic others would swear by Snap-On or SK, and they are good, no question but I never noticed much difference. I could return sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, whatever I'd had for 30+ years and get a replacement, no questions asked. Can't do that anymore, all the local Sears stores to me closed a few months ago. Closest ones now are Watertown or Rochester and can't imagine they'll be around much longer.

I have one of these sets and it's actually pretty good for the price. Not like it really matters a lot, I've broken and bent plenty of snap on and craftsman stuff. You can't really get high quality tools anymore, in my opinion.
Harbor freight tools do break a lot, but for $99 you might as well.

For that "do it once and forget it" jobs, I've bought a lot of Harbor Freight stuff.

I have two of the cheap tool sets (not as good as the one in the first post) that they sold years ago in the trunks of two of my cars. Very handy for quick repair work. I supplemented the HF kit with another nicer socket set a few years back...that I bought while picking up groceries....at ALDIS. :wideyed:

Surprisingly, they have some decent tools for cheap. I think I even have a torque wrench somewhere that I bought at ALDIS for $19 when shopping for stuff for my wife.:stop:

I almost did too and had a coupon for 93 bucks. I am pissed I didn't get it cause it has a case and would keep it in my truck. Not the best tools by any means but they are much better than nothing...

Well, it has that 1/2 drive ratchet and socket set, which is what almost swayed me. They could keep the 1/4 drive set and give me some good regular, Phillips, and maybe a couple stubby screwdrivers. Throw in a pair of vise grips and it would have been irresistible.

I have been buying Harbor Freight for quite some time now, use to be a die hard Craftsman fan.

The first (Harbor Freight tool) for me was my compressor and it simply about money, I hoped it would make it through the restoration of the Polara. Not only did it last the six plus years through heavy use it is still going.

At that time I got several air tools, the angle die grinder probably got the most use and when the first one died I replaced it with two (they were on sale for $9.99). Even with the replacements (total $35 spent) I'm still ahead of buying name brand stuff.

Alan

HFT.jpg

Poop I may have to go get a set tonight or tomorrow.

Back