Cleaning up my 300 Dash

John, Just a follow up. Has your Oil based silver Sharpie deteriorated in the 18 months since you did the refresh on your dash? I know the website touts the marker as fade resistant but would love to hear from an actual user how it does with sun/UV

Thanks for the incentive!
Zachary

John, Just a follow up. Has your Oil based silver Sharpie deteriorated in the 18 months since you did the refresh on your dash? I know the website touts the marker as fade resistant but would love to hear from an actual user how it does with sun/UV

Thanks for the incentive!
Zachary

It's only been about 7 months since I did the dash. Since it's a convertible, that's a real good question to ask.

It still looks pretty good and we're halfway through the summer. Lot's of top down weather so the dash has had its share of UV.

Give me a couple years and I can tell you better then, but I would use the stuff again based on what I know now.

Found it on Ebay. It took me a while to find a nice one. This particular one was supposed to NOS, but the seller said he didn't think it ran well. Honest guy and the price was right. The clock worked... kind of.... but obviously not reliably. I had it reworked and all in all, the cost was as much as most of the NOS clocks I have seen.

Nice work

I used chrome paint and white spray paint on my dash (used really fast after spraying on plate then art brush) and JB weld on plastic attachments that were cracked or damaged (I was able to make new attachments with plastic scraps and several JB Weld applications

Dash after repairs 007.jpgDash after repairs 001.jpg

Dash after repairs 007.jpg

Dash after repairs 001.jpg

I used the quart clock off ebay and it was accurate within one minute after a week running.

$90

I used the quart clock off ebay and it was accurate within one minute after a week running.

$90

The quartz conversions don't work with every clock. Mine, for example, does not have an available "kit" to do the conversion. The people that offer the kits will do a custom conversion, but it costs twice as much.

You also don't get the cool ticking... I really like that sound myself.

Back