Close call

monaco68

Reaction score
My soon to be 18 year old son was driving home two nights ago and just about had a header with a transport. It was a little foggy, my son said he saw the truck ahead of him with his left flasher on, but when he was really close the truck pulled in front of him to turn left. My son braked and managed to make it around him ok, but the pickup that was following him drove right into the truck. Every one was ok, but the pickup looked in pretty bad shape. My son waited for the police and gave a statement and continued home. I am always after him to keep his brakes adjusted just for this reason. His car has manual drum brakes. He did say that the wheels did lock up (maybe sphincter grab on the seat gave his leg more leverage on the pedal ).
I think now he understands what I was talking about, I'm just glad that everyone was ok. One never knows when something might happen. Glad his defensive driving training came to good use.

My soon to be 18 year old son was driving home two nights ago and just about had a header with a transport. It was a little foggy, my son said he saw the truck ahead of him with his left flasher on, but when he was really close the truck pulled in front of him to turn left. My son braked and managed to make it around him ok, but the pickup that was following him drove right into the truck. Every one was ok, but the pickup looked in pretty bad shape. My son waited for the police and gave a statement and continued home. I am always after him to keep his brakes adjusted just for this reason. His car has manual drum brakes. He did say that the wheels did lock up (maybe sphincter grab on the seat gave his leg more leverage on the pedal ).
I think now he understands what I was talking about, I'm just glad that everyone was ok. One never knows when something might happen. Glad his defensive driving training came to good use.
:thumbsup:

Lock up in a panic stop is good... glad it wasn't on slick roads though.

Glad you gave him good driving lessons, but even more glad you have him driving something with "manual drum brakes"... a lost art in itself.:thankyou:

:thumbsup:

Lock up in a panic stop is good... glad it wasn't on slick roads though.

Glad you gave him good driving lessons, but even more glad you have him driving something with "manual drum brakes"... a lost art in itself.:thankyou:
He's driving a 68 montego mx. Nice car. For a young driver and being a guy you would think that he would go for something more modern and sporty, but he has a liking for older cars. So when he decided on this one I went with him on a few drives and got him used to the brakes, and told him that unlike disc these need to be kept adjusted. I think he has the picture.

Good lesson on the brake maintenance.

Perhaps you should consider a front disc upgrade. Drums are great for one stop, but in today's modern traffic density, especially on the highway where idiots just constantly fill the space you leave in front of you, brake fade is a real issue...

I often need to make more than one hard application, and with front discs now the concern of whether I'll have enough brakes on the second application is a non-issue now.

$500 of extra security you'll never regret.

Good lesson on the brake maintenance.

Perhaps you should consider a front disc upgrade. Drums are great for one stop, but in today's modern traffic density, especially on the highway where idiots just constantly fill the space you leave in front of you, brake fade is a real issue...

I often need to make more than one hard application, and with front discs now the concern of whether I'll have enough brakes on the second application is a non-issue now.

$500 of extra security you'll never regret.
I totally agree with you on this one Ross. The last vehicle I owned with front drum brakes I had an accident with when the front brakes locked and would not release. You need to be able to steer away from and object and the cost of converting to disc brakes is well worth it. The life you save could be your own.

The only issue I have with 4 wheel drums is the high maintenance. I have two cars with all drums, one non power. It takes planning to avoid panic stops but they both perform well.
I hear a lot of folks saying, If it doesn't have disc brakes the car should be parked until switched.
I tow with the Admiral, power drums. The wagon has plenty of brake power, (trailer also has breaks). Brake fade is an issue on long grades.
It's really a whole different set of driving rules with drums. Although disc's are the best choice drums, with proper maint, are safe enough to get the job done. JMHO

Last edited:
The only issue I have with 4 wheel drums is the high maintenance. I have two cars with all drums, one non power. It takes planning to avoid panic stops but they both perform well.
I hear a lot of folks saying, If it doesn't have disc brakes the car should be parked until switched.
I tow with the Admiral, power drums. The wagon has plenty of brake power, (trailer also has breaks). Brake fade is an issue on long grades.
It's really a whole different set of driving rules with drums. Although disc's are the best choice drums, with proper maint, drums are safe enough to get the job done. JMHO
He has been pricing boosters so that he has at least power brakes. I have driven drum and disc alike and like bluefury361 says it is a different mind set in driving. I want him to be safe #1. I also want him to understand how important it is maintain a vehicle and how much time, money, and work is involved in maintaining it. It will be his decision to change to what ever he wants. In the meantime as long as he has drums he will do his maintenance. Maybe some day he will upgrade to a c-body

This makes me glad to live out in farm country, as the traffic is minimal. My power drum brakes leave a lot to be desired, and I still have to change out the wheel cylinders so I can bleed them. As I said I live in the country, deer have been my biggest problem, and I'm well aware of my cars abilities, and mine. I don't drive that much and definitely not in a lot of traffic. I always give myself plenty of space because as stated, drums are a different beast.

I'm glad your son was aware and capable of handling that situation the way he did, he'll do fine.

He has been pricing boosters so that he has at least power brakes. I have driven drum and disc alike and like bluefury361 says it is a different mind set in driving. I want him to be safe #1. I also want him to understand how important it is maintain a vehicle and how much time, money, and work is involved in maintaining it. It will be his decision to change to what ever he wants. In the meantime as long as he has drums he will do his maintenance. Maybe some day he will upgrade to a c-body
Having no children, I can only speculate... but I like to think I would be as cool as you on this approach. I would add that if he wants to change to power, he may have to change too much to make it worth while if a front disc setup is easy to find.

Or he could jump into a 74/75 Imperial and discover 4 wheel discs and the fun that goes with finding parts for them.:rolleyes:

Back