Code help...

68blackbird

Reaction score
sorry fellas, I am one to Google my tail off before asking for help....my head is spinning looking, so here I am....

I have the Vin decoded, looking for help with body and engine codes. was told that this was a numbers matching car, would be nice, but not a deal breaker by any means...not looking for an investment....looking for a cruiser....Kel

body tag 2.jpg318 code2 (Large).jpg

body tag 2.jpg

318 code2 (Large).jpg

Part of my confusion or questioning the "numbers matching" is according to vin this motor is a LA 318, but from my reading, the dead give away it is the older A is the 2 bolt valve cover bolts?

IMG_20140617_234250948.jpgIMG_20140617_234335970.jpg

IMG_20140617_234250948.jpg

IMG_20140617_234335970.jpg

The "B" series is for a 66 model year car, if that is a 66 then it is "number matching", if the VIN points to it having a 318.

Alan

I am assuming that your vin starts with PH27D6

P=full size Plymouth
H=High price class (Fury III)
27=Convertible
D=318 motor
6= 1966

The next digit should be between 1-8 and tells which plant it was built in, and then the last 6 are the actual serial number of your car. They started with 100001 and went up sequentially.

It looks like the LA version of the 318 didn't come out until 1967, so the A or Poly version you have would be correct.
In those days they didn't put the actual serial on the engine, so there really isn't such a thing as numbers matching.

The C07 at lower left on your fender tag means the car was scheduled to be built on Dec 7 1966. (A,B & C were used for months 10, 11 & 12)

The build date for the motor should be stamped on it as well, but I'm not sure of the details of that. but if you can figure that out it will at least tell you if the engine was manufactured shortly before the car, which would be the most likely for the original engine.

A-5 318 Poly
B-1 2-bbl
C-5 Automatic
R-1 Radio, AM
Y-1 Convertible-Black
C07 - December 7, 1965 - Scheduled Assembly Date
P - Fury
H - High (III)
H5X - Interior - High/Bucket/Black
SS1 - Pale Yellow
B - Black upper door

Hope this helps,

Alan

A-5 318 Poly
B-1 2-bbl
C-5 Automatic
R-1 Radio, AM
Y-1 Convertible-Black
C07 - December 7, 1965 - Scheduled Assembly Date
P - Fury
H - High (III)
H5X - Interior - High/Bucket/Black
SS1 - Pale Yellow
B - Black upper door

Hope this helps,

Alan

Yes, that breaks the code for me....except, what I see is A-4, am I missing something?

@D Cluely - The 1966 FSM is WRONG in the engine designators. A "D" is for a 273, where the "E" 318 and "F" is for a 361. So, this VIN should read PH27E6annnnnn (a = alpha character; n = numeric character).

Also, the build date for this MY 1966 Plymouth is December 7, 1965.

I am assuming that your vin starts with PH27D6

P=full size Plymouth
H=High price class (Fury III)
27=Convertible
D=318 motor
6= 1966

The next digit should be between 1-8 and tells which plant it was built in, and then the last 6 are the actual serial number of your car. They started with 100001 and went up sequentially.

It looks like the LA version of the 318 didn't come out until 1967, so the A or Poly version you have would be correct.
In those days they didn't put the actual serial on the engine, so there really isn't such a thing as numbers matching.

The C07 at lower left on your fender tag means the car was scheduled to be built on Dec 7 1966. (A,B & C were used for months 10, 11 & 12)

The build date for the motor should be stamped on it as well, but I'm not sure of the details of that. but if you can figure that out it will at least tell you if the engine was manufactured shortly before the car, which would be the most likely for the original engine.

Right after Stan's outlook on fake hood scoops is the burr that pops up in my saddle over those "C07" dates. They are NOT the build date of the car, that number represents the BODY FRAME DATE. When this number is attached, the car is at best 40% of the way through the assembly process. If you consider the moment when the car leaves the end of the assembly line (usually) under its own power as its birth date, that event occurs 12-20 hours later. If we were talking '74-'78 NYBs, the birth date of the car is the MDH number on the label on the end of the driver's door and pinpoints it down to the hour of the day (MonthDayHour). If the MD on the MDH is the same as the body frame date on the trim tag, it indicates amongst other things, that the car's trip through the assembly process was relatively uneventful, meaning it didn't hit many or any repair bays along the way. The body frame date represent the date when all of the sheetmetal that goes to make up the body is all assembled. But at this point, there's no paint, no trim, no powertrain etc.,etc. It was hammered into me decades ago that the "C07" number is not the build date of the car.

This is a piddly point, but it affects me like hood scoops.

Back