Coil resistance

66furys

Reaction score
Would like to know what you think on coil resistance. Specs like to say about 11K resistance on secondary side. Just bought a new one from an ebay source....no idea where made, but only has about 8K resistance. Have not tried to hook up and look at spark....may have to. But, just thought would ask what others have found on their new coils. thanks

Did you check the primary resistance?

8K is low. It may cause issues with a weak spark... Spec is around 10K.

Of course, it may run just fine too....

Primary is in spec at about 1.5 ohms. I complained to source, and they say they work fine. Well.....maybe. My old coil that I put back on, is in the 11k range. Just looking for other inputs. I am thinking that the relation between windings is similar to the resistance, and that if the new one is only in the 7500-8000 range, the output might be low???

Primary is in spec at about 1.5 ohms. I complained to source, and they say they work fine. Well.....maybe. My old coil that I put back on, is in the 11k range. Just looking for other inputs. I am thinking that the relation between windings is similar to the resistance, and that if the new one is only in the 7500-8000 range, the output might be low???
At 8K ohms resistance, the output will be low. And of course, the seller is going to say that's OK.

The ratio of primary turns to secondary turns is usually around 100:1. How that aligns with primary to secondary resistance? I don't know.

You have me curious... what coil you did you buy?

I hesitate to mention.....mama said if you dont have something nice to say, dont say anything. I agree with your points.

I H8 to say it but I think.........I have an answer. Hooked up the new coil with the low resistance up to a distributor and battery. Yes, 12V as in starting. And, tried to use a drill but the shaft too large....so spun the distributor by hand, leftwise. And, the spark jumped from the center of the coil, out to first one terminal, then the other....about a full inch....huge spark. I think it is OK. Oh well, so much for low resistance. thanks

Back