Comp cams hydraulic roller lifter failure

MEV

Reaction score
Comp cams hydraulic roller tie bar let go while cruising down the highway at 55 mph. I let off the gas and heard a little ticking. The tie bar pins failed letting the lifters rotate in the bores. As you can guess it ruined the cam and put metal everywhere. I called comp and they told me tough luck, 1 year warranty. I estimate i have about 6500 miles total on this cam/motor combo. I expected these to last basically forever.

512 Stroker
1a.jpg

Comp retro-fit hydraulic roller XR280HR and their lifters and springs.
75 psi oil pressure
Valvoline VR1 20w50 oil

1d.jpg
1b.jpg

Take another kick at the can with Comp. If they continue to decline make sure they understand that you will accurately publicise on every website at your disposal what happened. That really sucks.

Take another kick at the can with Comp. If they continue to decline make sure they understand that you will accurately publicise on every website at your disposal what happened. That really sucks.

Assuming that the tie bar components did not get mismatched some how, it would appear that the tie bar pin(s) were improperly tempered at the factory. This would be a clear case of defects in materials and manufacturing. As you are out of warranty, that does not help much unless you can get them to make a policy adjustment. Send them pictures of the damage and tell them you are going to put the same photos on every performance website you can find. An obvious failure like this one should scare the hell out of them.

Dave

I would chew my way up the food chain at CompCams until I was done frustrating myself... if their customer service was so bad, I might find the time to let the world know...

But Damn... customer service is all but dead. The best I would imagine you'll get is a replacement for the failed parts. You would still have an engine full of metal to deal with.

Very sorry that you've experienced this... already another bad mark for that company IMO.

This is a crying shame. Sorry man!

I seem to remember hearing something from someone else in the last year or two having serious issues with a Comp Cam.

Like CantFlip said start chewing your way up the customer service ladder until you hit someone that has some authority to be helpful. If they offered a new cam I'm not sure I'd take it thought. Maybe if the offered a much better warranty on it because of the grief they've caused already.

Assuming that the tie bar components did not get mismatched some how, it would appear that the tie bar pin(s) were improperly tempered at the factory. This would be a clear case of defects in materials and manufacturing. As you are out of warranty, that does not help much unless you can get them to make a policy adjustment. Send them pictures of the damage and tell them you are going to put the same photos on every performance website you can find. An obvious failure like this one should scare the hell out of them.

Dave
Threatening them will get you nowhere because they aren't afraid of you or whatever bit of internet annoyance you can bring to bear. Indy Cylinder Head is a classic example of this. They are also reasonably certain you won't sue because almost nobody is willing to spend tens of thousands to recover hundreds or thousands.

If you bought them through a distributor like Dwayne Porter you might do better having them plead your case for you but in any case you need to get a few steps above the phone lackie's pay grade and ask if that is all you can reasonably expect for longevity with their street rollers. Offer to ship them the cam and all the lifters for analysis. This MIGHT get you a new cam and lifters but you're going to eat the labor regardless.

Kevin

They have a twitter account where you ask questions. That would be a very public place to take your problem and cause a little pain without it cost bunches if you get no satisfaction from customer service. They also have a community forum for help.

Ouch! Sorry this happened, I'd be beyond pissed! Yet another reason to cruise as close to stock as possible. As if performance gains weren't expensive enough on their own....

Hate to see this happen! I had been considering a retro-fit of that nature on one of my cars. In consulting an associate about the possibility of such a failure, he said he'd not seen such failures (when I inquired several months ago).

As for CompCam's response, unfortunately it was accurate. Their stated LIABILITY is only what their warranty specifies . . . as a minimum, not meaning that MIGHT be all they could do. It's at THEIR OPTION to go further, especially in that 6500 miles might have happened in 3 months or 3 years. If the installation was done in a mechanic shop, with related work orders and information thereon, you'd have a time line from which you could point. With only a sales invoice for the purchase of the product, not so much. The kit could have been bought 5 years ago (although there are probably some "marks" on the parts they could use to determine such), expecting them to go by a "when installed" date rather than a "when purchased" date might be unreasonable. Either way, their ultimate reputation is riding on them selling very durable products.

Usually, the claims of "publishing" will not generally have the affect of hitting all desired markets. Not nearly like a billboard beside the road, for example. The other thing is that it will do little to motivate CompCams to do anything. You can't use your one failure to project into the larger market, either. Nor will or can it extend into "common knowledge" areas, just because it's in "electronic media" (which large parts of the population might be on, but not "following" car items with).

Typically, "warranties" are between the seller and the ultimate purchaser. But if you purchased the kit from a vendor and not directly from Comp, you might try that avenue. BUT be prepared for Comp to claim the intermediary is not a party to the warranty, per se. BUT if the intermediary vendor purchases a lot of product from Comp (or related companies), it might have a little more "weight" as it can also affect THEIR future business or business they might do with Comp. No guarantees, either way, though, as Comp is the ultimate decider of what they warranty.

Getting to the higher levels within Comp (or who owns them) might be tricky as that would require your communications to get past several levels of "filters". Might take some time.

In the mean time, take everything apart, retrieve ALL related loose items found in the engine/oil pan, document with pictures (cam/lifters, other lifters/tie bars, engine bearings, cam lobes, etc.), bag it all up for future reference, get the engine cleaned up and ready for rebuild.

As that particular system of roller lifter alignment has been used for over 50 years, there should be no failures of tie bars and such at this time. The original uses were in pure drag racing engines, with much intense valve timing events than any "street-driven" car might even have, by observation. But, of less run time exposure. If anything was suspect, it should have been exposes well before now. Or fixed! No cam company desires to have a drag racer lose an engine in a final round due to component failure. Such a failure would have resulted in the loss of many $$$$$ to the racer, possible related future business, and word-of-mouth negativity in places the cam company didn't desire it to be, IF blame could be placed on the cam company for the loss of the race. Be that as it may.

As stated, their liability is for the stated warranty period. They wrote the warranty, they work within those stated boundaries, BUT they can also get outside of those boundaries at their discretion. Which can be an area where "Customer Service" can be further defined. But you've got to get past those initial "filters" to get to where somebody can authorize such "above and beyond" situations.

At least this failure was not on a flat-tappet cam, where a lobe failure could have been easily laid-off as "lubrication" or "installation initial lube" or "lack of proper break-in procedures" could have been their first response, followed by "Sorry, no warranty".

Good luck and let us know how things go.
CBODY67

Last edited:
Suck it up and fix it. We have all been there. Tie bars are a crappy design and why you do not see them on OEM. The spider and dog bones look even worse but they do not have the moving parts so they won. The best way for longevity is keyed lifters but good luck financing that.
Pull it, clean it, new rod and main bearings then decide what cam to use next.
Sorry, but that is the truth.
If it makes you feel better you can put a comp cams sticker on a tree in your yard and stand there and yell at it for same result.
Unless you are a super high end engine builder with a reputation, good luck and even they need a string of failures.
As they say "that's racing".
I know you were not but you radically altered the design parameters of the engine.
Catapiller truck engines suffer from rotating lifters also and they are built for hundreds of thousands of miles.

Suck it up and fix it. We have all been there. Tie bars are a crappy design and why you do not see them on OEM. The spider and dog bones look even worse but they do not have the moving parts so they won. The best way for longevity is keyed lifters but good luck financing that.
If it makes you feel better you can put a comp cams sticker on a tree in your yard and stand there and yell at it for same result.
Unless you are a super high end engine builder with a reputation, good luck and even they need a string of failures.
I know you were not but you radically altered the design parameters of the engine.
Catapiller truck engines suffer from rotating lifters also and they are built for hundreds of thousands of miles.

I know what has to be done, I am not in a hurry to put the same pieces back in there, regardless of cost, if they are just going to do it again. I have no desire to go back to a flat tappet cam. My issue is solely with the astonishingly short life span of the pieces.

I know what has to be done, I am not in a hurry to put the same pieces back in there, regardless of cost, if they are just going to do it again. I have no desire to go back to a flat tappet cam. My issue is solely with the astonishingly short life span of the pieces.
I agree it is short life.
I am going to run a solid flat tappet with EDM.hole in lifters we'll see how that works

I hope MEV lives far enough out in the boonies that he doesn't get arrested for shooting that tree. :elmer:

I hope MEV lives far enough out in the boonies that he doesn't get arrested for shooting that tree. :elmer:

Some municipalities and such have "tree ordinances" for cutting down "legacy" trees. Not sure about shooting at the trees? Perhaps if there's a CompCams decal on his car, a strip of black tape through it rather than removing it? Several options that are "legal".

CBODY67

Really sorry to hear this. This is one of my favorite cars on here. It runs 12s! I hope you get it back together without too much collateral damage.

I'm also looking at a roller cam, and am hoping for long-term durability. Sorry this happened to you, but I hope it's a one-off, and not a repeat problem you face.

I'm surprised that they broke like that. Usually the comp lifters fail at the roller. Maybe try Bullet Lifters in your next build. I know the man who designed them, and they are the only things I would use in my high performance engines.

Are roller lifters compatible across brands? I've read good things about Crane lifters, for example, but I don't care for the lobe profiles they have available. I was unsure if I could use one manufacturer's lifters with another's cam.

Are roller lifters compatible across brands? I've read good things about Crane lifters, for example, but I don't care for the lobe profiles they have available. I was unsure if I could use one manufacturer's lifters with another's cam.
Absolutely. Be careful when deciding your rocker ratio though. Also make sure that if you get solid roller lifters, you get a cam designed for solid roller lifters.

Cool.

Hydraulic roller (or flat) for sure. This won't be a racing engine, just trying to take advantage of modern technology to make an Imperial engine even more Imperial-like.

I hadn't thought of rocker angle. My understanding is that roller lifters are longer so you need to have custom (shorter) pushrods to make the total combined length the same. Wouldn't that mean the rocker arm sees the same thing no matter what?

Back