Confirmation

Omni

Reaction score
Good Morning All from the frozen waste land of NW Ohio

Looking for confirmation. Are all steel crank motors internally balanced and cast cranks externally balanced?
The motor in question is a '65 383 automatic.
Thanks to all who respond.
Omni

Cast crankshafts in B/RB engines didn't start until about 1972 or so, well past when your '65 was built. Usually, the crankshaft material does not affect "internal" or "external" balance, but adding heavier connecting rods (as in some 440s in the earlier-to-mid 1970s) would affect balance and need a different balancer on those engines. Maybe even two balance weights on the torque converter, too?

Is your engine the "as produced" engine for the car? Casting number check? Has the outer ring on your balancer shifted outward on the inner hub a bit?

Enjoy!
CBODY67

First cast crankshaft for a 383 appeared on the '71 383 2BBL engines. If the crank in you '65 is original, it will be a steel crank. Externally balanced B/RB engines have an oblong center section to the harmonic balancer, it will be round on an internally balanced engine. Check the casting date on the side of the block, if it is dated mid '64 to mid '65 it should be the factory engine with a steel crank.

Dave

I assumed that all steel crank motors were internally balanced, except a few decades ago I was fooled by a 1972 CHP Polara, it had external balanced damper, I sold the short block for $125, it turned out it was a left over 440 6 pack block, crank and rods!
oops!

I assumed that all steel crank motors were internally balanced, except a few decades ago I was fooled by a 1972 CHP Polara, it had external balanced damper, I sold the short block for $125, it turned out it was a left over 440 6 pack block, crank and rods!
oops!
Starting in '70 the U Code HP engines had the heavier rods with a steel crank were externally balanced. These engines were available as part of the Chrysler TNT package and some police cruisers in the C-Body line in addition to the A & B & E Body applications. If I remember correctly, they remained that way until the end of the '72 production run. Some of the police and other specialty engines from '73 on retained the steel crank but most others got the cast crank with the same heavier rods. All of the cast crank 440 engines were externally balanced. Internally the crank and rods for the V and U code engines were pretty much the same in '70-'71. A true V-Code engine will have a "V" on the pan rail as part of the vehicle ID number.

Dave

1971 Fury GT had U-code motor with heavier rods, all except for the 1st 2 cars produced, which were T-code. Show cars. One for US, One for Canada.

Back