Convert 1965 distributor to Mallory breakerless?

Henrius

Reaction score
I am keeping my 1965 Plymouth Fury III with 383 original looking, but am tired of dealing with points. So many are made in China and are trash. Mallory has a photocell pickup unit one can mount in the Mopar distributor, and it looks normal from the outside.

Has anyone tried these? Does anyone have a better way to get rid of points, but keep the car looking original?

Pertronix or the MP electronic ignition conversion is the way to go.
I don't trust Mallory automotive ignition parts.

I've been running a Mallory Unilite for 4 years and it's the only way I'd ever go. As a matter of fact, I installed a Mallory
coil that requires no ballast and so I trashed the ballast as well. I used to have a pertronics but when it was discovered
that the distributor needed rebuilding due to wear the whole issue was a no-brainer. If I were to replace the Mallory,
I'd go with the new MSD that allows timing and advance curve to be adjusted via pan pots with no weights or dashpot.
Also MSD have a coil as well with built in resistance, hence no ballast resistor. Isn't technology wonderful. Do it once,
do it right.

Yatzee

Mopar electronic ignition conversion in both of my Formal's.

I converted my Newport via a Mopar unit. The magnetic pickups failed after a few years. Boy, was that a doozie to diagnose! That is why I was tending toward Mallory photoelectric.

Wouldn't know how to dial in an advance curve to save my life if I had an MSD!

I have a mallory dist I will sell you for $50 plus shipping. I have never liked them and want to pull the one in my 383. I know it will run. I fired it up just before I started deconstruction of the engine compartment a couple of months ago. PM me if you are interested. I'll even send you the plug wires that are attached and the coil that is with it!

Back