Convertible Leaks

Blu300

Reaction score
Have a 68 300, when it rains the floor in the back seat gets soaked. The top is new & fits well, seems like some kind of a drainage problem. The trunk is dry. Anyone have any ideas, suggestions how to fix this? Getting tired of mopping the back floor. Thanks for any help.

Have a 68 300, when it rains the floor in the back seat gets soaked. The top is new & fits well, seems like some kind of a drainage problem. The trunk is dry. Anyone have any ideas, suggestions how to fix this? Getting tired of mopping the back floor. Thanks for any help.

Unfortunately it is a common problem, and I've seen it on every vert I've owned. Behind the rear seat, under the well liner, just below where the top bolts on is a drip rail that rusts through. Here are a couple of pictures of the problem on my 300:

I've been toying with the idea of gluing in half a PVC pipe to replace the drip rail, but haven't experimented yet. Good luck.

James

Thanks for the reply. I did check the drip rail and it seems to be good, I'll check again. The factory book mentions drain flaps, any idea what that is? Are there any drain hoses attached to the drip rail?

I've never seen any drain flaps, perhaps someone else will chime in. Another issue I've found is when the plastic sheeting is removed from the rear door panels, that allows water to splash up into the cabin. Also, check the drainage channels of the quarters, make sure they are not clogged. I'm planning on re-engineering this area, I think the original system is poorly designed.

How is your weatherstrip seal between the door glass and quarter glass? water can be running down this area into the rear floorpan area.Are your inside rear quarter trim pieces getting wet or moldy? Try testing it with a garden hose for leaks.

In my old 69 Sport Fury Vert the rear floor always got wet during the rain or whenever I washed it. I finally found out that the drain was clogged in the back side window voids. I vacuumed out a bunch of glass & crap then used an electrical fish tape and a coat hanger and cleaned them out thoroughly and did not have any more water problems after that.

The factory book mentions drain flaps, any idea what that is? Are there any drain hoses attached to the drip rail?

There are plastic drain "channels" on each side just at the rear of the 1/4 glass windows. They are designed to channel water that enters at the rear base of the side glass down to the forward area of the wheel tub and out a weep hole down near the rocker panel. The plastic channels just snap into a hole and can sometimes drop. Or may have been removed and not reinstalled when the top was replaced. I've got one somewhere and will post a pic if I can find it.

Check to be sure the drain holes at the rear rocker are clear also.

Thanks to all who replied. Looks like the best thing is to get inside & have someone hose the car down a little. I do keep it covered if its not in the garage, but rain happens.

Being all original and garage kept since it was built I presume is the reason.

Back