Convertible top back window

The Goose

Reaction score
Okay, I've fixed soft plastic windows before but what on earth do you do when the back glass peels off the top material? It's not new but the top is pretty good except for that dang loose glass. Any good DIY hacks for this ? I bet somebody knows. Thanks.

IMG_4696.JPG

IMG_4697.JPG

In the first video he "scratches" the glass to make a better glue bond. Don't know if I'd do that because glass scratches create "break points". Maybe better to use an acid etch.

Thanks a ton for those videos ( do they still call em that ???), but they just made me sad. I tried all those different glues before and ruined my wife's Sebring top & she never let me forget it. All the glues seem to turn to powder and fall off due to UV. An old hand told me butyl tape like for installing a front windshield. That window weld looks like a liquid form of the tape. I'm just afraid that would melt. I did my AAR back in the 80's with that stuff ( the tape kind ), and it always leaked, (I was also 18 and in a hurry so...). I guess what I'm asking is , is there a way to remelt the vinyl top to the glass. I swear there's no old glue it looks like it was heated-melted onto the glass. Here is a pic of my old wound. Don't use any
IMG_5082.JPG
super or magic glue it doesn't work. I'd love to avoid a repeat on the '69.

This is one reason why I am glad my rear window is plastic, although I prefer glass. I'm conflicted. HA!

There is only one way to fix this and that is to buy a new back panel with glass. It's hermetically sealed and I've been told that there is no way to "re melt" the vinyl, or glue it back together. Find a decent trim shop and they can probably do it better and cheaper than if you did it yourself.

This is one reason why I am glad my rear window is plastic, although I prefer glass. I'm conflicted. HA!
There is only one way to fix this and that is to buy a new back panel with glass. It's hermetically sealed and I've been told that there is no way to "re melt" the vinyl, or glue it back together. Find a decent trim shop and they can probably do it better and cheaper than if you did it yourself.
I knew that in my heart but I figured some mad scientist might have an answer. Mine does zipper right out so I guess I'll start pricing a new section. I'll tell you what though glass is sure worth the trouble. My 65 and 68 had milk colored plastic windows and both shattered after me and my brother wasted all that time "restoring" them. Thanks guys I appreciate all the help.

Back