Cool "Car Art" Illustrations

This is the 1974 Pontiac brochure cover photo. Fitz and Kaufman were off the Pontiac/GM account after 1971 models and I thought GM was out of the "art" business and fully into photographs.

Obviously not .... I gotta investigate. The whole '74 brochure, for all the Pontiac lineup, has illustrations.

UntitledEE2ccc123.png
UntitledEE2ccc129 - Copy.png

UntitledEE2ccc12811AB - Copy.png

UntitledEE2ccc1 - Copy.png

What thread about appreciating automotive art in advertising would be complete without a magazine ad with artwork showing people who appreciate automotive artwork.

1650207612042.png

57 fury ad.jpg

What happened to car artwork that caused transition to photographs. A fella offers a alternative view using Pontiac. Examples: '68's and '71's, side by side, in Fitz/Kaufman art and photos.

Basic argument seems to him that the cars looked better (e.g., more accurate, crispier, etc) in photos vs art. Plus, the "exaggeration" of art renderings (length, width, styling cues) that dominated the 60's was losing appeal as '70's approached --even Pontiac was doing both art and photos.

Me? i still like the art.

source: 1967-72 Pontiac Firebird shows limits of ad illustrations - Indie Auto

The 1968's
UntitledEE2ccc12811ABC.png
UntitledEE2ccc12811AB - Copy.png

The 1971's
UntitledEE2ccc1 - Copy.png

Did shift to photos partly reflect a turn to ‘realism?’

Quality of execution obviously matters for both illustrations and photographs. For example, I suspect that the side-view illustrations shown in this post were not penned by Fitzpatrick because they lack the dynamism of illustrations attributed to him (go here for a portfolio of his work with Pontiac as well as other brands).

T
hat said, I can also see why photographs came to dominate marketing materials during the 1970s. They may have been less flashy than the best Fitzpatrick and Kaufman illustrations, but they looked more accurate.

That may have mattered more as the market shifted to smaller cars, whose styling didn’t lend itself as well to the almost inevitably distorted proportions of an illustration.

One might even argue that the societal convulsions of the 1970s contributed to a turning away from the-sky-is-the-limit aspirations of the 1960s to a certain hunkered-down realism.

Whatever the reasons, marketing for the 1967-72 Firebird shows the evolution of an automaker from illustrations to photographs. As gorgeous as Fitzgerald and Kaufman’s work could be, shifting toward realism strikes me as a good move when it came to the Firebird.

Last edited:
What happened to car artwork that caused transition to photographs. A fella offers a alternative view using Pontiac. Examples: '68's and '71's, side by side, in Fitz/Kaufman art and photos.

Basic argument seems to him that the cars looked better (e.g., more accurate, crispier, etc) in photos vs art. Plus, the "exaggeration" of art renderings (length, width, styling cues) that dominated the 60's was losing appeal as '70's approached --even Pontiac was doing both art and photos.

Me? i still like the art.

source: 1967-72 Pontiac Firebird shows limits of ad illustrations - Indie Auto

The 1968's
View attachment 526451View attachment 526450

The 1971's
View attachment 526452View attachment 526453

Did shift to photos partly reflect a turn to ‘realism?’

Quality of execution obviously matters for both illustrations and photographs. For example, I suspect that the side-view illustrations shown in this post were not penned by Fitzpatrick because they lack the dynamism of illustrations attributed to him (go here for a portfolio of his work with Pontiac as well as other brands).

T
hat said, I can also see why photographs came to dominate marketing materials during the 1970s. They may have been less flashy than the best Fitzpatrick and Kaufman illustrations, but they looked more accurate.

That may have mattered more as the market shifted to smaller cars, whose styling didn’t lend itself as well to the almost inevitably distorted proportions of an illustration.

One might even argue that the societal convulsions of the 1970s contributed to a turning away from the-sky-is-the-limit aspirations of the 1960s to a certain hunkered-down realism.

Whatever the reasons, marketing for the 1967-72 Firebird shows the evolution of an automaker from illustrations to photographs. As gorgeous as Fitzgerald and Kaufman’s work could be, shifting toward realism strikes me as a good move when it came to the Firebird.
Interesting.
Now NASCAR, NFL are using cartoon images for drivers and players. What a waste of effort.

What thread about appreciating automotive art in advertising would be complete without a magazine ad with artwork showing people who appreciate automotive artwork.

View attachment 526435

The ad says you could order a big, full-color reproduction of this masterpiece of art at Plymouth Division. Where are those reproductions now?

Mack Truck had a preferred illustrator for a while in the 1950's (1955 to 1958 specifically, examples below). Woodi Ishmael

1650292794214.png
1650292872356.png
1650292951553.png

Last edited:
Wonder if there was a color version of this? Maybe it was copy for newspapers/other B&W print media?

UntitledEE2ccc123.png

Back