Cool "Car Art" Illustrations

1948 Mercury

tunnelram.net_tr_mercury_1947%252Bwoody%252Bwagon.jpg

I didnt do much investigation but 75 year old "scuttlebut" suggests something post-war Datsun built looked like post war Crosleys.

There is a resemblance. between 1947 Crosleys (EOP 1952) and the first 1949 Datsun DB models. Y'all can decide what you think.

source: Datsun DB series - Wikipedia

1947 Crosely
View attachment 588071

1949 Datsun DB2
View attachment 588072
Toyota did the same with their first car. They actually bought a Desoto Airflow and disassembled it. They also bought and reverse engineered a 33 Chevy engine and copied Ford chassis and electrics.

Replica of 1936 Toyota AA
1936_Toyoda_Model_AA_01.jpg

1935 Desoto Airflow.

_DeSoto_Airflow_SG_Business_Coupe_%289343689573%29.jpg

These were (IMHO) the best looking wagons ever made.
They are high on my list ...my Dad lusted after one somewhere in mid-60's (whevever they were 8 lug designs).

After he got the '64 Goat 389, I believe my mom put her foot down. .. I inferred that as a lad from the "pitch and tone" of the folks' conversations and hasty exits from the dinner table.

:)

1949 Fords - their first ones after WWII. By almost any maker in America.

Hank I rolled the dice and changed the design landscape for the next 70 years

1949-Ford-Advert.jpg
1679864448423.png
1949-Ford-Illustration-1024x585.jpg

I 100% scrolled through this one and then did a double-take: A COWBOY on a CAR PHONE in the middle of a pasture??? He ordering a pizza?
cowboy may have been checking his portfolio on the Chicago Mercantile or the price of cattle feed :)

yeah boss .. there's quite a few "oddities". Like the late 50's Chevy illustration (post #329).

Mom, Dad, Son are camping in the woods. Dad and son in pj's just rolling outta the tent, but Mom is dolled up like a fashion model - hair, makeup, the works - and cooking breakfast. Still able/willing to be the "dutiful" housewife in the woods with a Chevy.

untitledee2ccc12812h-png.png

I have no comment on PC/non-PC stuff these folks used/depicted. However, what these artists/writers/car companies were trying to get people to see THEMSELVES in THAT car. .. ya do that and you have a chance theyll buy THAT car to get whatever feeling they were seeking from that purchase.

Me? I go back to post #2. I STILL wanna be this guy, 60 years later, in this '60 Bonneville Vert:

capture40-jpg.jpg

Cool "Car Art" Illustrations

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back