Cool Sport Fury Pic

MONC440

Reaction score
They say a picture is worth 1000 words. Well what this pic doesn't say is this was this first car my dad bought new still in high school. He was 17 years old and went down to the dealer and ordered a Sport Fury 383 4-speed. It was the car he was cruising when he met my mom and taught her to race in. She would take it to the local drag race spot when he was working milking cows and the story I got was she embarrassed many of the local boys. He didn't know until he herd it from a friend she was dragging it. They later campaigned the car at the local drag strip (with her driving) and were beating the national record at the time. I didn't see this pic until dad was gone but I love it.

BTW the tail in the background is my grandpas 62 Imperial and I think the white car in the background is my grandmas 64 Chrysler.

dad and his 65.jpg

Last edited:
That’s cool if one tenth of it is true. Thanks for sharing.!

Lads --
Here's another pic for you. This one was taken in the early summer of 1966 and shows me and the girl who became my wife a couple of months later. The car is my '65 Sport Fury, a Medium Red Metallic car with matching interior and the 426S and 4-speed, no PS or A/C. I didn't have to teach her anything about driving as she easily handled that stiff clutch -- even in high heels. I special ordered that car too in October 1964 with the intent of dragging it in NHRA's C/S class, but she came into my life in February 1965 and that ended that. But it was a great car that served us well during our first years together. In fact, we liked it so much that when we had the chance to get its virtual twin in 2016, we jumped on it.
The black/white is from 1966; the color is from 2016.
Joe Godec
'57 Chrysler 300C, '60 Fury SonoRamic, '65 Fuelie Vette, '65 Sport Fury 426S/4-speed
IMG_0339 (1).JPG
IMG_2176.JPG

Lads --
Here's another pic for you. This one was taken in the early summer of 1966 and shows me and the girl who became my wife a couple of months later. The car is my '65 Sport Fury, a Medium Red Metallic car with matching interior and the 426S and 4-speed, no PS or A/C. I didn't have to teach her anything about driving as she easily handled that stiff clutch -- even in high heels. I special ordered that car too in October 1964 with the intent of dragging it in NHRA's C/S class, but she came into my life in February 1965 and that ended that. But it was a great car that served us well during our first years together. In fact, we liked it so much that when we had the chance to get its virtual twin in 2016, we jumped on it.
The black/white is from 1966; the color is from 2016.
Joe Godec
'57 Chrysler 300C, '60 Fury SonoRamic, '65 Fuelie Vette, '65 Sport Fury 426S/4-speed
View attachment 531046View attachment 531047
What a cute story! I love these kinda things.

Slap --
426S or 426-S refers to 426 CID "Street Wedge" or "Commando 426" with 365 HP which was the most powerful engine in the Fury line, as a $545 option. It made its debut in the 1964 model year and was replaced by the 440 CID mill in 1966. It was a great engine for the ordinary guy as it had hydraulic lifters, a single 4V carb, and just 10.3:1 compression ratio.
Joe

Slap --
426S or 426-S refers to 426 CID "Street Wedge" or "Commando 426" with 365 HP which was the most powerful engine in the Fury line, as a $545 option. It made its debut in the 1964 model year and was replaced by the 440 CID mill in 1966. It was a great engine for the ordinary guy as it had hydraulic lifters, a single 4V carb, and just 10.3:1 compression ratio.
Joe
Normally referred to as 426 W since the Hemi was the STREET Hemi and it was based on the 426 WEDGE block.
The letters W and H were used based on the heads to avoid confusion. Never seen any of the wedge engines referred to with the S. (Yes, one was the S42 option) Street Wedge began to be used over the years for some reason. No, the Bacaruda Formula S was still called a 340 wedge.
The race version of the 426 W was the Max WEDGE.

I guess YMMV.

Last edited:
Slap --
"Commando 426" is the official name for the 426 CID/365 horse mill. Back in those days when '64 and '65 Plymouths and Dodges were new, we old fuds at that time called such an engine a "Street Wedge" or "426S" or+ "426-S." Again, that's what guys like me who actually lived in that era called them to differentiate them from the Max Wedge or Street Hemi. Also, both the first (1990) and second editions (2000) of the "Standard Catalog of Chrysler" use the term "426-S V8" (a $545 option) as well as numerous web pages. No self-respecting gearhead would ever say he (or she) had a "Commando 426" in their car and we all knew very well what Street Hemis, Race Hemis, and Max Wedges were.
Believe it or not, a few old guys can actually remember some things.
Joe

I also grew - up during that period, beside waiting for the draft I remember a blue 1965 Fury 2 door sedan sitting on the lot of a nearby Plymouth dealer also had the 426. If memory serves me, the car had no warranty, course it was used

I also grew - up during that period, beside waiting for the draft I remember a blue 1965 Fury 2 door sedan sitting on the lot of a nearby Plymouth dealer also had the 426. If memory serves me, the car had no warranty, course it was used
Wow a 2 dr sedan with the 426. Id love to see one. Anyone else seen one? Or own one?

Back