Corner indicator light question.

Daniel Romero

Reaction score
1973 Fury III: When my headlights are on, my driver’s side corner indicator has been staying on solid. It used to flicker on sometimes but usually stayed off. Now that it’s been staying on, I’m beginning to question if it’s supposed to be on constantly when my headlights are on along with the passenger side or if it is designed to be off and only illuminated when the turn signal is on like it has been.

1973 Fury III: When my headlights are on, my driver’s side corner indicator has been staying on solid. It used to flicker on sometimes but usually stayed off. Now that it’s been staying on, I’m beginning to question if it’s supposed to be on constantly when my headlights are on along with the passenger side or if it is designed to be off and only illuminated when the turn signal is on like it has been.

It is activated by the turn signal. Should not stay on. Check the wiring diagram, but I think that there is a relay that controls that function and it has probably stuck in the active position.

Dave

Are ypu referring to the all orange marker on the fender, or the clear turning lamp option. If it looks like the one in this pic, it should always be illuminated with the headlights on.

fury marker 1.jpg

It is activated by the turn signal. Should not stay on. Check the wiring diagram, but I think that there is a relay that controls that function and it has probably stuck in the active position.

Dave
Thanks, Dave. I’ll pull out the ol’ manual here in a few and check that out.

The clear turning lamp on top.
If you mean the one on the top of the fender, it should only be on when the signal is activated. A bad ground somewhere in the circuit can also cause that kind of behaviour, by using the lamp filament as a path to ground for other bulbs.

UNLESS, the car has the Fuel Pacer System. Regardless of whether the headlights are on or not, when intake manifold vacuum drops below a certain level (which can vary with the engine), the lh (only) fender-mounted turn signal repeater will come on until manifold vacuum returns to above the level of the vacuum switch that turns it on. One of those little options that came in with the early-1970s Fuel Embargo/gas rationing era. Helping the customer drive more economically, by keeping that light not activated.

The Fuel Pacer System was an independent situaiton, "free-standing" of sorts. Which would mean it has its own wiring harness, vacuum switch, and such. Not sure if the '73s could have it, but I know the '75s could. Just something else to check for.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

UNLESS, the car has the Fuel Pacer System. Regardless of whether the headlights are on or not, when intake manifold vacuum drops below a certain level (which can vary with the engine), the lh (only) fender-mounted turn signal repeater will come on until manifold vacuum returns to above the level of the vacuum switch that turns it on. One of those little options that came in with the early-1970s Fuel Embargo/gas rationing era. Helping the customer drive more economically, by keeping that light not activated.

The Fuel Pacer System was an independent situaiton, "free-standing" of sorts. Which would mean it has its own wiring harness, vacuum switch, and such. Not sure if the '73s could have it, but I know the '75s could. Just something else to check for.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Willis, the fuel pacer system was not offered until the '75 model run.

Dave

You probably have a bad ground connection somewhere. Lights coming on when they aren't supposed to is a classic sign of a bad ground.

Jeff

I found and resolved the problem! Totally by accident I might add. My front left turn signal went out and I went to replace the bulb but it wasn’t burnt out. Long story short: I had a gallon of washer fluid I’d put down in the front inner grill area because I’d found a spot that it fit snugly in between the inner turn signal housing and the inner “front clip(?)” in case I’d needed to top it off on the road. Turns out that plastic jug was pushing against the turn signal lamp socket and causing a short. Once I’d removed the jug and fidgeted with the wires going into the socket my turn signal bulb lit back up and the turn indicator light that shouldn’t have been illuminating stopped lighting up. I feel a little dumb after the fact but I’m just glad it’s fixed.

Back