Correct drum pads

brent

Reaction score
My Drums (66 dodge Monaco with 383) are 3" and 2 and 3/4 Pads on the front brakes. The local parts store can get ahold of 3" pads. Will these actually measure 3"'s and if so, is that an issue inside a 3" drum. Seems like it might be too little room. Any thoughts on any of this?

The 2.75" width front drum brake shoes are probably accurate for your car. The 3" wide shoes were on HD and Police vehicles. They are supposed to need a backing plate with more offset for the wider shoes, plus the drums should have a wider friction contact area too, with the 3" wide shoes.

I know it might be nice to put the wider shoes on there, but I also doubt you'd really notice much difference. In a continuous HD use situation, that additional lining area might help a bit, BUT in those situations, brake cooling and having a high-heat high-metallic friction material might be of more importance than that extra .25" width of friction material.

DO get the best lining you can get, regardless of the width. ALSO, get a brake shoe adjustment caliper to set the base adjustment with. And make sure the inner drum diameter is still "in spec" for continued use.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Putting 3" wide shoes on a drum brake set up can result in problems with getting the wheel bearings tight 2 3/4" shoes are available on eBay and elsewhere, you need to look at places other than AutoZone type stores.

Found 2 and three quarter inch front shoes through autozone.

Back