Correct Voltage Regulator for 1966 New Yorker

surfnturf

Reaction score
Hey guys... I need help on this one. I noticed the other day that my Volt Meter on the Dash was pegged while driving regardless if the lights or AC was on. That said, I figured I would start with replacing the Voltage Regulatory being that the alternator is brand new. I installed the brand new Voltage Regulator yesterday and now the Volt Meter is not showing any charge at all. I took the car for a test drive and upon my return the battery was nearly dead. Both ends are connected properly and the it is bolted to the firewall which should ground it properly as well.

The two options that I found for a voltage regulator are VR101 and VR101-T. The one I put in was the VR101 not the VR101-T. Do you think I used the incorrect voltage regulator, or do you think it is just faulty? Do you have a better recommendation? Both look identical.

voltage regulator.jpeg.jpg

You probably got a bad one. The "T" series is a cheaper line. Stay away from those.

Probably need to get a charging system check done by a technician. Might be that the alternator is not charging or charging enough, although it is new. DO check and clean the battery posts and related terminals, as "gunk" can covertly accumulate between the terminals and battery posts, limiting the current flow through the battery.

Is the new voltage regulator "transistorized" or analog like the original? Haver to gently remove the cover to see what's inside. Just curious.

Diagnosing why the ammeter was pegged is important and might lead to some other issues, too.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Probably need to get a charging system check done by a technician. Might be that the alternator is not charging or charging enough, although it is new. DO check and clean the battery posts and related terminals, as "gunk" can covertly accumulate between the terminals and battery posts, limiting the current flow through the battery.

Is the new voltage regulator "transistorized" or analog like the original? Haver to gently remove the cover to see what's inside. Just curious.

Diagnosing why the ammeter was pegged is important and might lead to some other issues, too.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
Hi CBODY67,

Thanks for the advice. The alternator was working fine until the original Voltage Regulator failed a few days ago. At idle the ammeter would show that it was charging as the needle was just past the mid-point as it should be. Once I would get underway and the engine speed would pick up the needle would slowly climb until it went fully to the right of the gauge. I only drove it a few miles after this happened and when I swapped in the new analog Voltage Regulator the alternator would not excite and charge at all. The car only has verifiably 37K miles and everything under the hood nearly new including all the wiring, connections. Battery is clean and posts and cables look like new. The local parts store near me has another VR101 in stock. I'll pick that up this afternoon and try it. If that doesn't work, then I'll take your advice and have a pro diagnose the system.

inspection_image_68.jpeg
IMG_7720.JPG
IMG_7727.JPG

Last edited:
@FURYGT sells an electronic replacement that has worked out well the folks here that have purchased one.

For Sale - Reproduction Solid State (Electronic) Voltage Regulators for '69 & Earlier MOPARS - $15 @ Carlisle for FCBO Members

Unfortunately, I am out of stock and they are back ordered and I won't get more until October.

Find someone selling the solid state electronic voltage regulator made by Regitar, #C524 as those are the ones that I sell. I know that others sell them on eBay besides me.

Unfortunately, I am out of stock and they are back ordered and I won't get more until October.

Find someone selling the solid state electronic voltage regulator made by Regitar, #C524 as those are the ones that I sell. I know that others sell them on eBay besides me.
Thanks Fury GT!

Hi CBODY67,

Thanks for the advice. The alternator was working fine until the original Voltage Regulator failed a few days ago. At idle the ammeter would show that it was charging as the needle was just past the mid-point as it should be. Once I would get underway and the engine speed would pick up the needle would slowly climb until it went fully to the right of the gauge. I only drove it a few miles after this happened and when I swapped in the new analog Voltage Regulator the alternator would not excite and charge at all. The car only has verifiably 37K miles and everything under the hood nearly new including all the wiring, connections. Battery is clean and posts and cables look like new. The local parts store near me has another VR101 in stock. I'll pick that up this afternoon and try it. If that doesn't work, then I'll take your advice and have a pro diagnose the system.

View attachment 613618View attachment 613619View attachment 613620
Thanks for the additional information. Please keep us posted on your progress.

CBODY67

Back